This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Strange audio and video delay after render - worked before

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dreambliss
Registered Member
The ONLY change I have made is to update Kdenlive - that's it. About to test another project that rendered without the bug/error/issue. Will also record clips in OBS to share here to demonstrate the issue. Here is what is happening:

I edit my proxy clip - I have multiple cuts. When I am done I render to a YouTube profile I found. It is the same way I have done things for the last 10 episodes or so of DB Craft. No issues until I would say a week or two ago. In Kdenlive the video plays fine in the preview, after each cut it comes in as it is supposed to. But after the render there is something like a 6 second missing bit of video and audio. It just doesn't play. IT IS NOT OUT OF SYNC! It just plays the part before the cut, then starts playing six seconds or so after it. As far as I can tell it is like this for every cut.

It is my assumption I inadvertently activated some tool or keyboard shortcut, or that Kdenlive's updates have caused this. I have recently reset everything to default, and that did not fix it. Nor did copy/pasting into a new project, which I did in case it was some sort of project setting. Nor did changing the render or starting over from scratch. Can't find anything on Google about this behavior. Kdenlive has no forum. So here I am, hoping someone can help.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this? Please, for the love of dog, DO not ask me to post system specs or advise I update any drivers! As I said, it was rendering out perfectly normally - what I played in Kdelive is what I got in the final render. This is a recent bug/error/issue, and I have changed nothing in my process or settings, other than resetting to default after this happened.
dreambliss
Registered Member
UPDATE:
Using the SAME settings for Render as before, but opening an older project, NO DELAY. It is just not there - everything is working perfectly. Somehow it is only affecting this one project. I will try an experiment and save another increment in the project that rendered correctly, then copy/past my clips, then render.

UPDATE 2:
So I tried my experiment... Copy/Paste of everything into an incremental save of the project that rendered correctly. First render crashed, second render the video quality was terrible, and all my cuts were messed up! I tried copy/pasting twice, I clicked on the first cut part of the clip, CTRL+A, CTRL+C and CTRL+V in another instance of Kdenlive, and what pastes is nothing like the edited project!

So I think that verifies it is something to do with the project itself. It's almost like that project using that video clip is infected or something. It just acts differently that all the rest of my video files, and they were all recorded the same through OBS. I am really stumped now. Trying to reload the proxy clip.

Last edited by dreambliss on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sredna
Registered Member
OS
Things to look for: are all tracks active? Are you rendering the zone rahter than the full project?

Wonderful channel btw :)
dreambliss
Registered Member
sredna wrote:Things to look for: are all tracks active? Are you rendering the zone rahter than the full project?

Wonderful channel btw :)

Not sure how to tell what tracks are active? I will Google. Not sure how one would render a zone but as far as I know there are not zones designated in the project.

I didn't post a link, so if you took the time to look me up, thank you. I really appreciate the compliment and the support it represents! ! I am trying very hard to improve and get better at being a professional Minecraft YouTuber.

Update 3:
Here is what I have before the Render:
https://youtu.be/cdWhmVt4dEI
(turn volume up)

Here is what I get after the Render:
https://youtu.be/h5GloVDzaj0
(turn volume down)

Has nothing to do with active tracks - I have no tracks selected when I render. Has nothing to do with segments as I don't use that. My editing process is to cut, move the header to where I want the video to play, drag from the cut to under the header, move the clip flush against whatever previous clip is there, rinse and repeat. As I said I have had no issues until this file.

I suspect it is the .mkv file - that something in it is being misunderstood or read incorrectly by Kdenlive. I will do a final test with a file I have no yet edited on, to see if the issue persists. If it does I will re-edit from scratch an older video file that rendered correctly.

But basically this is a huge kick in the gonads for me. I am supposed to have a video out this week. I am going to have to scarp Kdenlive and move to another editor. I can't have tools that do not work correctly. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I am really discouraged right now.
sredna
Registered Member
OS
Well, that looks odd. I can see you are on windows, which I haven't a lot of knowledge about, but since you updated, do you have the previous version lying around? Otherwise maybe try the standalone package instead of the installer one?
dreambliss
Registered Member
sredna wrote:Well, that looks odd. I can see you are on windows, which I haven't a lot of knowledge about, but since you updated, do you have the previous version lying around? Otherwise maybe try the standalone package instead of the installer one?

I am using the Standalone version, and I can back a few.

OK, on listening more closely I think what Kdenlive is doing is it is shifting the cut about 6 seconds from where I actually cut it. So in the editor is sounds like the cut is where I put it. But in the render there is more to the audio/video before the cut, and it comes in late, after the cut.

Well hopefully that will help this bug get tracked down and squished.
dreambliss
Registered Member
Update... 4? 5?

OK, so completely removed Kdenlive from my system and went back two versions. Issue still persists. Testing with a fresh project instead of loading the old project. Hoping to figure out whether or not the issue is something in the project. After that I am all out of ideas.
dreambliss
Registered Member
Update 5:

Installed Shotcut, just rendered a clip, and IT IS ALSO DOING THIS! I give up. Gonna see what I can transcode this file into - assuming the file is messed up in some way.