This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Any support for HLG, bt2020, wide gamut, opencolorIO...?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stefanodroghetti
Registered Member
Nowadays many cameras produce clips in different colour spaces than BT.709 (also called REC709). They are mostly Log profiles for colour correction, or the great new "HLG" Sony stuff, which I think is something related to HDR video, giving great dynamic range without the need of heavy colour correction.

All these new profiles have a "BT.2020" (or "REC2020") colour space. I think it's a 10 bit colour space, while BT.709 is a 8 bit colour space.

Many so called "professional" software include a simple converter from 2020 to 709 and DaVinci has this "wide gamut" native colour space where you can use all possible colour spaces without conversion, which is a great feature that open source world has already written: "OpencolorIO". Some other free-as-in-freedom applications include already OpencolorIO natively, like Krita or Olive editor. So I'm asking: is there any chance to see OpencolorIO in Kdenlive in the future?

It's not really something super-needed: on my Sony ZV-1 camera I can even choose HLG with BT.709 colour space instead of BT.2020, and, moreover, on Kdenlive I can apply a camera-specific LUT to convert 2020 to 709... and also, I still have a 709 monitor so it's quite stupid to talk about wider colour spaces... But we all want Kdenlive to become the best video editor, so I'd really like to see this feature in the future.

I think it's more about MLT than Kdenlive itself, right? I see this feature in Shotcut's roadmap so I'm asking if you guys think this feature is worth of Kdenlive roadmap too.