This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to improve video quality

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
satimis
Registered Member
OS

How to improve video quality

Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:58 pm
Hi all.

I have old video taken in 1990 by Sony V8 video camera and a profession shop ripped them on DVD. I rippied the video on DVD to computer as .vob files and then convert them to .mp4 files

I found some sections of the video are not clear, blurry. Pls advise how to enhance its quality on kdenlive?

Thanks

Furthermore pls advise how to upload file here?

Regards
berndmj
Registered Member
OS

Re: How to improve video quality

Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:22 pm
Fixing blurriness in source files is no easy simply because the source is missing the details. In particular after it went through several encoding passes (convert from (digital) video to DVD, rip from DVD, etc). BTW, I think kdenlive can use VOB files as source input, so no need to convert to MP4. If you have to convert from VOB try a lossless codec.

You can try several effects from the Blur and Sharpen, Color and Image correction, Grain and Noise, and Image adjustment groups. The sequence of and settings for the effects, as well as the choice of effects depends heavily on the source material. I can only suggest to play around until you find the best combination. Use just a small section of the clip to keep rendering time to a minimum for testing purposes. It is important to actually render it because the choice of codec and format influences the result, and looking at it using the final resolution shows the effectiveness.

Hope this helps ...

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
satimis
Registered Member
OS

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:32 pm
berndmj wrote:Fixing blurriness in source files is no easy simply because the source is missing the details. In particular after it went through several encoding passes (convert from (digital) video to DVD, rip from DVD, etc). BTW, I think kdenlive can use VOB files as source input, so no need to convert to MP4. If you have to convert from VOB try a lossless codec.

You can try several effects from the Blur and Sharpen, Color and Image correction, Grain and Noise, and Image adjustment groups. The sequence of and settings for the effects, as well as the choice of effects depends heavily on the source material. I can only suggest to play around until you find the best combination. Use just a small section of the clip to keep rendering time to a minimum for testing purposes. It is important to actually render it because the choice of codec and format influences the result, and looking at it using the final resolution shows the effectiveness.

Hope this helps ...

Thanks

Yes .VOB clip can be added.

I have no idea how to run those effects
Code: Select all
Alpha, Mask and Keying
Audio correction
Blur and Sharpen
Color and Image correction
Deprecated
Gemerate

Regards
berndmj
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:04 pm
Well, once the clip is in the timeline you simply drag and drop the effect from the effect bin (make sure to select the filmstrip icon above it) to the clip. Then select the clip and the effect(s) can be manipulated in the Effect stack of the clip. Each effect has several parameters (some like B&W don't, obviously, but you get the picture) you can adjust to get the desired result. As I said, your case most likely requires several effects and definitely a lot of trial and error.

There are several Telegram, Reddit and Discord channels where you can ask questions and where screenshots or screen recordings can be uploaded. Also check YT channels for tutorials about effects.

I am sorry, but I cannot go into each effect and explain what they do and how they need to be used.

PS: Use effects from the Deprecated group at your own risk - they are not maintained anymore and may have issues or may not work anymore or as one might think

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
satimis
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:31 pm
berndmj wrote: - snip -

There are several Telegram, Reddit and Discord channels where you can ask questions and where screenshots or screen recordings can be uploaded. Also check YT channels for tutorials about effects.

- snip -

Thanks for your advice.

I found;

Twitter KDE Community
https://twitter.com/kdecommunity/

Reddit - kdenlive forum
https://www.reddit.com/r/kdenlive/

Where is Discord kdenlive forum/community ?

Regards
berndmj
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:31 pm
satimis wrote:Where is Discord kdenlive forum/community ?

It is not very active but with more people joining it might pick up speed ;-) https://discord.gg/4J9JZarP

satimis
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:18 am
berndmj wrote:
satimis wrote:Where is Discord kdenlive forum/community ?

It is not very active but with more people joining it might pick up speed ;-) https://discord.gg/4J9JZarP

Thanks

Regards