This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Your software is free but in what degree?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
blakeiscake
Registered Member
OS
??? There are two types of free software ???
1. The one that is only free for a limited amount of time until you must buy the "pro" version! (Like lightworks)
2. The one where once you download it you get to keep it forever and you do not have to worry about any additional purchases (Like VDSC video editor and open shoot)

??? I want to know what type of free software ken live falls under! ???
bartoloni
OS
What are you talking about? this is a KDE component , the source code is public! how you can think that a Linux opensource project needs escamotages to gain money?
please read something about opensource/GNU philosophy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
blakeiscake wrote:??? There are two types of free software ???
1. The one that is only free for a limited amount of time until you must buy the "pro" version! (Like lightworks)
2. The one where once you download it you get to keep it forever and you do not have to worry about any additional purchases (Like VDSC video editor and open shoot)

??? I want to know what type of free software ken live falls under! ???

kdenlive is free software as in free to download, free to use, free to keep forever, free to update to newer versions, no additional purchases, no hidden fees or other money traps. On the other hand, kdenlive does not have professional support but a very lively and supportive community; documentation is provided by volunteers (as is the development of kdenlive itself, mind you) but slightly outdated; kdenlive still has bugs (as any software, free or paid) but the developers take bug fixing seriously and strive to fix them quickly.

Oh, BTW, the KDE non-profit organization accepts donations to fund projects like kdenlive, e.g. paying for servers and such. I recommend you read up on what @bartoloni suggested and also visit https://kde.org/

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
blakeiscake
Registered Member
OS

Oh ok then thanks for the answer

Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:19 pm
I will check to see what ken lives has to offer and it's features! :)