This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDEnlive on Ubuntu Impish: an unusable tool

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pablof
Registered Member
Thanks for your attention xD . Straight into it, the facts:

• I have installed KDEnlive 21.08.03 from official Ubuntu repository via Ubuntu Software app.
  • I created a new project.
  • Added two clips to the project. No thumbnail displayed in Project Bin.
  • Added the clips to the timeline. No entry/exit frames thumbnails displayed in the clips' strips.
  • No video played neither on clip monitor nor project monitor. Only audio played.
  • FFmpeg, ffplay, ffprobe and MLT-related files are in the folders expected by KDEnlive according with its own configuration dialog box.
  • These same two videos are perfectly well played both with Ubuntu bundled Video player and VLC. I would not mangle with MLT (7.2.0, as per KDEnlive's "about" dialog box) at this stage, as suggested by many fora, as other video apps are working well.
  • Downloaded KDEnlive AppImage, as sugested in other fora.
  • Using AppImage, videos are played and thumbnails shown.
  • (BUT...) Using AppImage, transitions DON'T work in preview (basic fade-ins and fade-outs).
  • Fed up, dropped KDEnlive on Ubuntu and switched back to my Windows machine for the Windows version, which works well and made me love and admire KDEnlive in the first place.

Honestly, I cannot understand how is it possible that a video dedicated app like KDEnlive is not working out of the box and is requiring ANY kind of tweaking in order to perform these TOOOOO BASIC operations on an Ubuntu environment.

I'm not a techie, but I will gladly provide any log info or any other thing you may kindly suggest I gather that may lead not only to solve the issue for me, but to avoid this silly inconvenience for other non-techie users.

Thanks in advance.

Pablo
bartoloni
OS
Pablo i'm a Windows user and i have pushed a lot Windows bug fixing to have finally an opensource Video editor for Windows (that i was waiting for circa 20 years)
now i'm using Kdenlive everyday on Windows (Using OPEN GL backend because the direct-x one is not working fine) , but i have also an SSD with latest Ubuntu on my PC and every week i test a daily build (appimages for Linux) https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Kden ... age_Build/ ... for what i can see there are no differences on my PC ( old AMD Ryzen 1800x with Nvme and GT610 )... both OSs are running Kdenlive in the same way... i have thumbnails i have previews... i have effects (i'm not using compositions anymore and i'm not sure if them are working fine)
Probably your issues on Linux are related to an hardware configuration/drivers... no idea... BTW can you provide your harwdare configuration? can you provide also what release of Ubuntu are you using? thx
pablof
Registered Member
Hi Bartoloni!!!

Thanks a lot for taking the time.

I've been using KDEnlive on Windows for at least three years now and, besides minor tweaks to make it work faster or more stably, it worked perfectly for my purposes (thank you for pushing its improvement!!!).

Nowadays, to have KDEnlive working in my Ubuntu environment is the only thing left for me to completely drop Windows.

So, as per your questions:

OS: Ubuntu Impish, as said in the subject of this thread, ie, 21.10
Hardware: AMD® A10-5800b apu with radeon hd graphics × 4 - 12Gb RAM

Honestly, I don't think is a matter of drivers or hardware configurations as long as, as said in my post, other video applications can perfectly play the files and have no other video related issues. Looks more like a KDEnlive issue.

Thanks in advance!!!

Pablo
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
I have kdenlive running without issues on Garuda Dragonized (Arch based), Modicia OS (Ubuntu based) and Windows 10. I also checked out Pop! OS once and had kdenlive running there as well without any problems.

So there is something different in your particular setup. I am sorry that kdenlive does not work with your Linux environment. This is a strange phenomenon with the different Linux flavors that what works for one doesn't for another for no apparent reason. I also spend more and more time on Linux and want to migrate off Windows so I sympathize with you and can relate to your position.

I suggest you set up a dual boot Linux environment if possible to see whether kdenlive works with a different distro and DE.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
pablof
Registered Member
Thank you, Berndmj, really appreciate your sympathy.

Mine is a fresh install of Ubuntu 21.10 Impish, as said before. Fresh, clean, no tweaks, no weird things, no experiments, as pristine as it can be, on a machine with no weird (nor cutting-edgy) hardware, I might say.

The only installed software, besides the one bundled with the OS, is Ardour and KDEnlive (oh, well, I mentioned also VLC, but, come on, that must be considered standard!!!).

Some may suggest I better tried Ubuntu Studio, but I wanted to have the most basic and (relatively) widespread flavor in my area, for which I know I can get some degree of support (you know, Windows is dominant when you look for a technician).

Honestly, I do not understand this "no apparent reason" you mention we all experience from time to time with Linuxes and cannot understand why KDEnlive is not playing video (not playing video!!!! a video editor!!!!!) out of the box in a quite standard, no surprises, environment.

Thanks again for your sympathy.

Pablo
pablof
Registered Member
Hi there pals!

Just realized that since I downloaded version 21.08 and while I was posting here, version 21.12 was being released!!!

Just downloaded it and tried and everything seems to be working as expected!!!!

Thank you for your encouraging responses. One has to learn to wait for the new releases, they normally fix things -may break others, but that's life.

Thanks again to the community and the developers.

Cheers.

Pablo
bartoloni
OS
pablof wrote:Mine is a fresh install of Ubuntu 21.10 Impish, as said before. Fresh, clean, no tweaks, no weird things, no experiments, as pristine as it can be, on a machine with no weird (nor cutting-edgy) hardware, I might say.

i will try latest ubuntu on my ryzen+nvidia on next days .. .just to be sure that this is something related (and i think that the issue is the APU GPU) to the Radeon HD 7660D.
pablof
Registered Member
Hi Bartoloni.

As I said, latest 21.12 version AppImage seems working all right. I have to add that I uninstalled the one installed through Ubuntu Software, I don´t know if that could make any difference.

It would be great to know if there any specific issue with the APU GPU, although, as a summary, 21.12 AppImage seems working all right so far in my environment, out of the box.

Again, thanks for all your support.

Pablo