This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kdenlive selective color grading

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
andi.brendel
Registered Member

kdenlive selective color grading

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:53 am
Hi everyone,

Is there a possibility in Kdenlive like "Adobe Premiere Pro" to use the "Pen Tool" function to carry out a selective or also called secondery color grading? I only want to carry out color grading in certain areas, e.g. water or sky.
Regards

Andi
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
Not out of the box that I am aware of. But you can use rotoscoping to select the area you want to color grade. Put the same clip or section of the clip on top of each other in the timeline. Then use the Rotoscope (Mask) effect and select the section/area you want to color grade from the top clip (V2) and apply the color effects to the bottom clip (V1).

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Re: kdenlive selective color grading

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:12 am
Hello,
unfortunately rotoscoping does not work anymore in the current version Kdenlive 21.12.0 on Manjaro, (AppImage 21.12.0 is ok!).
Is this also the case for you?
andi.brendel
Registered Member

Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:59 am
Hi berndmj

Thank you for your answer. I tested rotoscoping. Rotosoping is a good solution for photos. Rotoscoping cannot be used for videos. The transitions are then difficult to handle and do not look good. You can see in the video at the transitions that manipulation has taken place. CMYK adjust is better. But this is no substitute for selective color grading.

Regards

Andi
andi.brendel
Registered Member

Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:02 pm
Hi mickae,

I am using an AppImage 21.12.0 and rotoscoping works.

Regards

Andi
mickae
Registered Member
OS
Hello andi.brendel,
yes, in the AppImage it runs well, even with videos, have been happy with it. Only my installed Kdenlive, same version 21.12.0 under Manjaro can no longer rotoscoping. And the so important tool: Lift/gamma/gain is now much worse than it was before. Very sad. Kdenlive is great, but it would be much better if it had less functions, but they would work. Really a pity.

New insight: I replaced ~/.config/kdenliverc - and now rotoscoping works again, like before, there was an error in my settings.
Also lift/gamma/gain works again as before: Not good, but not worse than before.

Last edited by mickae on Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
mickae wrote:Hello,
unfortunately rotoscoping does not work anymore in the current version Kdenlive 21.12.0 on Manjaro, (AppImage 21.12.0 is ok!).
Is this also the case for you?

No, rotoscoping works for me in Kdenlive 21.12.0 on Windows 11 and my different Linux flavours (Garuda Dragonized, Modicia OS 20, Pop!_OS - all kept up to date).

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
andi.brendel wrote:Rotosoping is a good solution for photos. Rotoscoping cannot be used for videos. The transitions are then difficult to handle and do not look good. You can see in the video at the transitions that manipulation has taken place. CMYK adjust is better. But this is no substitute for selective color grading.

I agree that rotoscoping on videos can be tedious because you have to go frame by frame to keep the same area. I am currently going through this to create a matte but that's what it is unless they find a really sophisticated algorithm to change the rotoscoping selection dynamically and very accurately. Now think about how they have done matte creation and rotoscoping in the old days: manually, frame by frame and without an undo function! ;-)

On the CMYK adjust I don't understand how you would constrain the effect to a certain area. It looks like it works for the entire clip, not just a selected area. Unless I misunderstood you with overlaying the same clip and rotoscoping you create a matte through which one of the clips shows and the color grading effect is restricted to the area outside the matte (or within, depending on how you created it).