This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive Color correction with SOP/Sat

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mickae
Registered Member
OS
What do you think of this method to correct the colors?
Here is my method with SOP/Sat:
I choose in Colour and Image correction > SOP/Sat.
Then I switch on in View > RGB Parade.
Then I put the cursor on a typical image in the video.
Now I look in the RGB Parade at the values for red, green and blue.
Now I adjust in SOP/Sat first the values "Slope Red" until in the red area max: 255 is shown, or minimal below. Likewise for G and B. Slope mainly influences the highlights.

Then I adjust in Offset Red until at min: 0 or slightly above, appears, likewise for G and B. Offset mainly affects the shadows.

Now contrast and colors fit quite well.
Then I look at the image in the Project Monitor and do the fine correction until I have the image the way I think it should be.

With Power you have influence especially on the mids. It's also called gain. With it you control the brightness impression.

Additionally, you can adjust the saturation.

With SOP/Sat you can adjust almost everything on the video/image: White balance, contrast and brightness.

It seems quite elaborate at first, but it's just unfamiliar. It's worth getting familiar with it.
mickae
Registered Member
OS
In the meantime, I am coming away from this method again.
SOP/Sat is very complex and yet not as accurate as I had hoped.
The transitions from Slope to Offset and Power are much too soft, i.e. each one influences the others too much.
This is much better with the Color balance effect, because it is more sharply adjusted.
It seems to be best:
1. use Levels to adjust the brightness and contrast.
2. correct the colors with White Balance.
3. use Levels again, to reduce the splitting caused by White Balance, if necessary.
4. Then, as needed, use Lift/gamma/gain to give the colors the desired fine-tuning.