This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to optimize the workspace to hide unwanted audio tracks?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
niklasliebig
Registered Member
Hi, this post is about combined av tracks and i think this topic is not new. It's about some comments of mine, opinions and perspectives regarding specific (or maybe common) projects.

A bit of history: With the redesign of the Kdenlive's timeline (from version 18 to 19 - if I remember correctly), there were no longer any visually combined AV tracks. Today, when you drag a clip into the timeline, it is split into audio and video tracks accordingly. I clearly see the advantage in that, especially when using filters, transitions and envelopes for audio. It makes the workflow a lot cleaner. In many cases, this leads to better control and easier handling compared to the old visually combined AV tracks. And this concept change also seem to work well for editors who produce animations without any sounds. They may choose video-only tracks for their projects.

Well, I'm kind of in between those cases. I produce silent films but use source clips that do contain audio. Still audio is useful during the edit until the end of my workflow: writing subtitles (and also for archiving purposes). So I do not want to strip all audio data of my clips beforehand to use video-only tracks.

Long story short, with the concept change from version 18 to 19 the total number number of timeline tracks doubled. Added a sort of mirrored audio version of my timeline.

Since I don't care about audio editing in detail, I kind of liked the way of visually combined AV tracks. Unused audio tracks fill up my workspace on my not-so-large screen. My use case may seem unique at first glance. Still, I believe that many non-professional editors use AV sources but almost never benefit from the additional audio clips that fill up the timeline. Kdenlive is evolving rapidly and the possibilities are constantly changing. So maybe there are already some settings, solutions or some hints to a clearer setup. Some thoughts from me:

• Minimize the height of unwanted tracks. I do so.
  • Bring the audio part of the timeline below the bottom of the screen. This clearly helps to focus on video tracks. Image
  • Engage some kind of filtered view that shows video / audio tracks only?
  • Some ideas?
zolder
Registered Member
niklasliebig wrote:
  • Some ideas?

Yes ;D

niklasliebig wrote:
  • Bring the audio part of the timeline below the bottom of the screen. This clearly helps to focus on video tracks.

What i do with unneeded audio.
With mouse right click you can 'ungroup' the audio from the video, and then simply delete that audio part.
Gone unneeded audio. ;D

If you want to keep that audio, but shut it up. Then right click on that part and at the bottom you can disable the relevant audio clip instead of deleting it. Perhaps you need to 'ungroup' to not shut down the video. Try that for yourself.

And usually i use one or two (to edit, and delete ;) ) main audio tracks for the project needed audio. No more.

niklasliebig wrote:
  • Engage some kind of filtered view that shows video / audio tracks only?

Right click the wanted clip. At the top somewere there must be someting as 'Clip in project storage' (translated from my language).
Then you can play that one and only particular selected part in the usual screen at the top right where you view all previews.

Hope this answers your questions and helps you move on.
wolfn
Registered Member
OS
A bit late, but one small hint I just tested (21.12.3):
In clip-monitor, just above the 'InPoint' mark you can see (hover up) a small film + speaker sign. There you can pick video or audio alone for your timeline.

Manjaro-Linux, kdenlive-22-12-2.appimage, I7-9700/16GB/M2-SSD, Sata-SSD