This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Are Slimbooks any good for KDEnlive?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
barzi
Registered Member
I will have to buy a new laptop in within 3 months.
I always used Apple but with the new M1 it looks like there are issues with the software that I use.
The search for a good laptop is overwhelming with all the different processors, gpu, models, etc but I found the slimbooks pretty nice.

https://slimbook.es/en/

However, I am wondering if they are good for video editing and which configuration is the best for video editing.
If not, any other suggestions that would make me to orient in the massive market offer will be more than appreciated.

EDIT: it would be nice to have a page similar to this for kdenlive too

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommende ... mendations
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
Until kdenlive supports GPU rendering and GPU-supported project preview your main focus must be on CPU and RAM. I presume that SSDs are now state of the art anyway.

I prefer to work with big monitors and would never do video editing on just a notebook's screen. But this is - of course - personal preference.

Hope this helps

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
bartoloni
OS
i'm using a 27" monitor for Kdenlive and i can't image working on a (any) laptop... also looking at the SLIM-FACTOR of these notebook i think that if they have power CPUs (and i suppose NOT) them are coming to a massime thermaltrotthling (20% of real speed?) after 5 minutes during renderings.

barzi wrote:EDIT: it would be nice to have a page similar to this for kdenlive too
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommende ... mendations

it's very easy for Kdenlive right now...

the H264 codec (that is used almost on everything right now can use 8 threads AT MAXIMUM) this mean that the CPU need to be na 8 threads (or 8 cores).. the RAM need to be 16 Gbytes (i'm rendering QuadHD using 7/9 GB RAM) the disk need to be an NVME (maybe something high-branded like Samsung and not Hynix), the Video card right now can be anything on WIndows but on Linux better if it's a Nvidia (because of the experimental NVECN rendering)

Yep.. this is not obviously a laptop :)
right now using a Ryzen 1800x (16 threads) i have:
CPU usage of 50% during rendering (H264)
GPU usage of 40% during editing
RAM usage about 8 Gbytes
i'm on Windows and this mean that Kdenlive is using only HALF of the configuration.
barzi
Registered Member
Hold on: are you saying that KDEnlive works better on Linux? :o

Regarding the rest: in reality I have an external monitor and a docking station, so I happen to work with a larger monitor when I am at home.
But my problem is that I am frequent traveler and I happen to spend weeks (if not months) in different places so a desktop would not be the best option.
Plus, I may work with different computers and therefore the degree of continuity on different platforms (Win, Linux, Mac Os X) is more than welcome (my gf, who lives in another country has a desktop, my parents, who live in another country have another desktop). But many other times I am in places only with my laptop. I would like to start a project e.g. on Linux and work on it a bit more on Windows, and then on Mac OS, and so on and so forth, depending on where I am physically.
As I travel a lot, weight is important, that is the reason why I placed my eyes on the Slimbooks :)

My ideal choice would be a new Apple laptop (M1) since I love their product and I have iPhone & iPad as well, but I am a bit hesitant because the software that I normally use (Anaconda, Matlab, etc) don't seem to work very well on M1, and, regarding KDEnlive, it does not even exist it is not clear when we will have a stable version (no, I am not going to build from source, I already do many other things in life in many other fields and one cannot know/learn everything).
An option could be to switch to DaVinci Resolve but it seems a very complex program and I don't think to be good enough to make this step. Or to Final Cut Pro but then I would lose continuity between different platforms. And I love KDEnlive.

Btw, what do you mean with thermal throttling? That the laptop will go on fire while rendering and after few months I will have to throw it away as the components will be seriously damaged?
barzi
Registered Member
berndmj wrote:Until kdenlive supports GPU rendering and GPU-supported project preview your main focus must be on CPU and RAM. I presume that SSDs are now state of the art anyway.

Yes, I am aware of it.
But I think the GPU acceleration support should be somewhere in the pipeline for future releases?
bartoloni
OS
barzi wrote:Hold on: are you saying that KDEnlive works better on Linux? :o

Kdenlive is a KDE "component" made for Linux... Windows and MacOS portings are made with automatic tools that can't provide ANY TYPE of optimization on these "secondary" OS... main development of kdenlive is made only on Linux and a lot of times the Windows version came with specific bugs that maybe can be solved after months...

barzi wrote:Btw, what do you mean with thermal throttling? That the laptop will go on fire while rendering and after few months I will have to throw it away as the components will be seriously damaged?

thermal throttling is made to prevent CPU overheating... btw any laptop can shutdown by itself to prevent CPU damage. (and yes.. during rendering CPUs become very hot.. fans and heatsinks are necessary... look at gaming laptops.)