This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

no longer select the color with the Color Picker

Tags: solved solved solved
(comma "," separated)
mickae
Registered Member
OS
Suddenly I can no longer select the color with the eyedropper.
My Kdenlive version is (still) the 21.12.3. on Linux.
If I, for example, click on the background of a text and want to select the color there, it was previously always possible to select a color from the video with the eyedropper in the monitor. This is no longer possible. Now only the selection: "Select Color" a palette of predefined colors appears. This is not the case with the current AppImage and was also possible with my installed version until a few days ago.
Missing: Pick Screen Color.
Does anyone know what is preventing this?

Last edited by mickae on Thu May 19, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartoloni
OS
mickae
Registered Member
OS
thank you for your suggestion. But I don't think it's Wayland, because the color picker works perfectly normal with Whitebalance.
Maybe I accidentally turned on something wrong in the settings. On AppImage I do not have the problem.
mickae
Registered Member
OS
Hello, who can help me with this?
The problem: I want to change the colors of a title. To do this, I click on Properities or Backgrund. But unfortunately the old window does not appear on Linux: Select Color - Kdenlive with the possibility of: "Pick Screen Color". This is only possible with the AppImage and earlier also on the installed version. Maybe I have changed some setting unintentionally. But I have no idea what and where.
Now only the selection of the 9x5 default color fields appears.
If Wayland should be responsible for this: Everything is ok with the white balance.
Who knows what can be done there?
wolfn
Registered Member
OS
I'm not sure if I understand all well..
But I just tested, what I think to understand:
My 22.04 appimage in MX-linux shows all color-selections, including the color-picker.
Built only 1 black clip + 1 title with colored text. Could re-open this title-clip (in project-bin) and edit everything.
Could change text-color, background-color and pick any color from anywhere in the screen.
Afaik, here is no wayland active, but I am not sure for now. Will try inxi if needed.

I suspect, you damaged something. Did you install some new pkgs or updates?

Edit: just tested in Manjaro (XFCE 4.16.0) & 21.12.3 regular install - same result, everything seems working well.

Manjaro-Linux, kdenlive-22-12-2.appimage, I7-9700/16GB/M2-SSD, Sata-SSD
mickae
Registered Member
OS
Hallo @wolfn,
No, I wouldn't know that I installed anything funny. But obviously I did something so that the ability to use the color picker to select the hue in the monitor is no longer there. On my secondary computer everything works fine. So everything seems to be ok with Kdenlive. But in my Manjaro I obviously messed something up. Only what?
wolfn
Registered Member
OS
Hi mickae,

only have ca. 1 1/2 ideas...
- in one post here around I remember a hint to delete the central kdenlive-config file (backup before!). You should use the search function for exact instructions.
- If this is not successful, I would try starting your kdenlive in a terminal to see all the messages at startup and compare your failing one and the working one.
Maybe you pipe both output (stdout AND stderr!) into a fiie and compare them side by side. With some luck you will find the difference.

mickae
Registered Member
OS
Hallo @wolfn,
vielen Dank für Deine Bemühungen um mein Problem.
Ja, die kdenliverc habe ich erneuert - keine Verbesserung.
Das mit dem Terminal Starten und vergleichen überfordert mich. Wäre aber eine guter Lösungsweg. Mal sehen ob ich mich da mal heran wage.
Schau mal, hier im Manjaro Forum komme ich dem Problem langsam auf die Spur - allerdings noch ohne befriedigende Lösung:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/color-picker-wayland/110853
Ich müsste wissen, was das genau ist und wie ich das korrigieren kann: QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=“qt5ct” kdenlive
Darum dreht sich das Problem.
---
thank you very much for your efforts on my problem.
Yes, I have renewed the kdenliverc - no improvement.
That with the terminal start and compare overwhelms me. But that would be a good solution. Let's see if I dare to try it.
Look, here in the Manjaro forum I'm slowly tracking down the problem - but still without a satisfactory solution:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/color-picker-wayland/110853
I would need to know what it is exactly and how to fix it: QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct" kdenlive
This is what the problem revolves around.
wolfn
Registered Member
OS
Hi mickae,
have had a short look to your link.
I think, that will be the solution.
And it's not so far away of my suggestion...
Open a terminal and type 'kdenlive' + ENTER and observe what's happening.
If you get this, try again with 'QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct kdenlive' and once again.

Maybe, you don't need the compare-action anymore...

If you can't change these parameters in the config-files for now, try the appimage for a test.

mickae
Registered Member
OS
I now have the solution!!! I had to change the following in: ~.profile
# export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct

Last edited by mickae on Mon May 16, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
wolfn
Registered Member
OS
Congrats! Good luck!!!

Edit:
You should be aware, this change is working for this/your user-account only.
If you need it system-wide (all user), you have to change that (as root) in /etc/environment.

mickae
Registered Member
OS
weißt Du, was da rein muss? Bei mir steht das drin:
#
# This file is parsed by pam_env module
#
# Syntax: simple "KEY=VAL" pairs on separate lines
#
wolfn
Registered Member
OS
Nicht 100% sicher, würde aber das gleiche reinsetzen, allerdings ohne 'export'.
Genau, wie die Beispiele das vorgeben: Key=Value
In der Manjaro-Diskussion war das doch ziemlich gut beschrieben.

Wir sollten dann aber ins German-Abteil umziehen...

mickae
Registered Member
OS
Ok, so in English.
You know a lot better than I do. For me, this is all quite a stress. These abstract terms wear me out.
If you would write everything that you think should be in there, I would be happy.
wolfn
Registered Member
OS
OK, here what I think to be tested:

Code: Select all
#
# This file is parsed by pam_env module
#
# Syntax: simple "KEY=VAL" pairs on separate lines
#
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct

and then store it back to /etc/environment.

(to test ist, you should comment out your 'export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct' in your .profile:
example: # export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
- the # makes the line a comment / text only and prevents execution)

This is what I understood from your Manjaro-discussion. Never heard about this before...
But if you're the only one on your machine, you do not really need it.