This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to work in a YUV 4:4:4 Full Range Environment?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
solo-kartoffel
Registered Member
Hello,
this is a direct copy of the topic I started in Reddit's Kdenlive Community page. I'm also opening this thread hoping to ask for help from those who don't follow Reddit but here.

I have been capturing gameplay recently. I use OBS with AMD hardware recording. These recordings are in:
1. 4:2:0 chromasubsampling
2. BT-709 color format
3. Full color range.

As we all know games already tend to have color banding issues. I take those videos, color grade them, apply some effects, like sharpening, apply film grain, sometimes some overlays, etc and export them.
Thanks to OBS, I already set my recordings to be in full color range so it has the advantage of full 0-255 range. Luckily, Kdenlive allows me to mark my videos as "Full color range" so I get the correct results. I'm also OK with 4:2:0 downsampling because I record at 4K.
So, I need to do 3 things:
1) To import 4:2:0 videos at full color range. I did that with Kdenlive's "full color range" radio button.
2) To convert them to YUV 4:4:4 (709) Full range videos at a higher resolution. I figured that part by adding these commands to my export profile/script:

Code: Select all
pix_fmt="yuv444p" color_range="pc" rescale="lanczos"

And then re-import them into my project as new clips.
3) To work with them at 4:4:4 in full range. This is the part I need help. How can I make sure that the effects and overlays are also at 4:4:4 Full range? Actually, how can I make sure that Kdenlive keeps my working environment at 4:4:4 Full range, at all? I want to know if I'm really working in a 4:4:4 Full range environment or just fooling myself.

Some may wonder why I bother so much. I want to do these because the recordings are now at 5K and ready to be de-banded, sharpened, color corrected and grain applied (to prevent any further banding). All of these effects/grades are color related things and being able to work at 4:4:4 Full color would, of course, give much more naturally blended results. For example; a grain at 1/4 resolution (because of 4:2:0) with a limited color range would definitely be inferior to a full resolution grain with a full 0-255 range.
Thanks for reading this far.
bartoloni
OS
solo-kartoffel wrote: I want to know if I'm really working in a 4:4:4 Full range environment or just fooling myself.

Hi :) .. i think that you are the only one (right now) that can answer this... never seen posts on forum about this :( ( well.. there is an 11 years old topic... viewtopic.php?f=270&t=116414 but nothing that can help. )