This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Where can i find the subtitles file?

Tags: subtitles subtitles subtitles
(comma "," separated)
frazelle09
Registered Member
OS
i've got a .mp4 video from the internet that we are interested in translating. We've done the translation and proceeded to make each ??? slide ???. We then supposedly created the new file with the translation but upon viewing the movie (it's only about 6 min.) we see that the translations we made overlap the text that the movie already had. ??? We also did not see the color video - we may have forgotten to move the movie to one of the bottom rows.

So, does this mean that the original movie have a subtitles file somewhere that we can just edit?

Perplexed... Have a great evening, please stay safe and be happy! :)

"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
.....................................Bahá'u'lláh..................................................
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
zolder
Registered Member
frazelle09 wrote:So, does this mean that the original movie have a subtitles file somewhere that we can just edit?

Perplexed... Have a great evening, please stay safe and be happy! :)

Can be. Many known 'movies' already are subtiteled. And those files you can simply import, or edit, for instance both text and timing corrections (often even in plain text editor).
Perhaps yours even already exists in your language?
Look here https://www.opensubtitles.org/ (and more such websites to be found). And select your wished language.

And how to import in kdenlive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KiIc0OFn0w

Even on youtube it is possible to add (such) subtitle files.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734796?hl=en
frazelle09
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, zolder! However i was asking about a video (.mp4) which we have downloaded and which seems to have subtitles. How can i find/locate this track or file in the .mp4 video file? We have already made a subtitles track but when we tried to incorporate it into the video, both subtitles tracks appear as one.

Have a great evening! :)

"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
.....................................Bahá'u'lláh..................................................
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
wolfn
Registered Member
OS
My knowledge in this stuff is quite limited, but as a starting point, I think you should use 'mediainfo' first, to check what kind of streams are incorporated in your mp4.
If there is a real subtitle-unit (stream), it should be listed.
If you use vlc, there is a tool included 'codec-info' if I remember right. Should give you a similar result.

But, afaik, mp4 is very limited in carrying extra info (streams), other than video and some audio.
If you really need many extra streams, you should have a look to mkvtoolnix and the mkv-container instead of mp4.
(Edit: you can throw your mp4 into mkvtoolnix and get out a mkv).
Here you do not need to re-encode anything.
All are standard-tools in Linux, and afaik also available for Win*.

Manjaro-Linux, kdenlive-22-12-2.appimage, I7-9700/16GB/M2-SSD, Sata-SSD
zolder
Registered Member
frazelle09 wrote:How can i find/locate this track or file in the .mp4 video file?

I guess that's hard. If i see other vid's with overwritten subtitles, they really are overwritten. I would say that it's implemented deep in the mp4, as an mp4 has no layers or such.
So then i would think that you download such subtitles file (as i mentioned), and put it over the original subtitles to let those disapear under the new one.

Please mind the underlined words. No guarantees. :<