This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to add spport for the SVT-AV1 endcoder/decoder

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rempas
Registered Member
Hello everyone! I have downloaded the SVT-AV1 encoder/decoder and I have built and installed it. I would now like to ask you how to use it with Kdenlive? Was anyone successful on doing that? I'm under Linux.

I would also like to ask if there are any sources on how codecs work with Kdenlive and how the program interacts with them and with ffmpeg.

Thank you all in regards!
bartoloni
OS
i think this is a bit hard.. because the codec needs at least a Xeon E5-v4... and i doubt developers have Xeon machines... there is support for this codec on other opensource editors? (just to understand if it's possibile to see some code)

[EDIT] i looked at the sources and seems that the codec can be used also on any x86 CPU... BUT seems also that the encoding speed (using ffmpeg) is slower than H265 (which is already extremely slow).. probably Netflix asked Intel for this codec to gain some "extra-power" from Xeon CPUs... and probably a Xeon CPU it's necessary to have good results?
rempas
Registered Member
Thank you for your reply! I know it is slow (at least showing 1080p 24fps anime has been fine in my Ryzen 2400G) but I want to use is regardless!

Of course, hardware encoders will be a thing for the new graphics card for both Intel, Nvidia and AMD so it's future proof anyway ;)