This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Render Crashes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pjslo
Registered Member

Render Crashes

Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:16 pm
I'm using kdenlive version 21.12.3 on Ubuntu 22.04.1. I was hoping to find a good, reliable, stable video editor for my projects and WAS hoping kdenlive would work for me. I HAD done just a few sort of test videos and exported/rendered them with no problems. I was using the MP4-H264/AAC format. However, despite making no changes in my settings and using similar videos and graphics, suddenly the render function fails giving me an error message in the bottom of the rendering window: "Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway."

This is indescribably frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thank you.
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Re: Render Crashes

Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:25 am
Hello pjslo,
of course Kdenlive can crash occasionally, this happens with any video editor! But the recovery with Kdenlive is pretty good, so you only don't get back the changes of the last seconds.
But:
Kdenlive has never crashed on me while rendering. Guaranteed you can use Kdenlive on Linux well, and that must be possible for you too.

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the message from Gnome etc., others can for sure.
Do not give up hope, Kdenlive is really very good and really relatively stable.
Sometimes it helps to reset the settings: Delete or rename ~/.config/kdenliverc, Kdenlive will create a new one.
Stay tuned, everything will be fine soon.
pjslo
Registered Member

Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:31 am
I realize that all NLEs crash as do many (or most computer programs). Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough and more details might be helpful. Kdenlive won't render at all. It crashes every time. Not just most of the time, every time. That's a problem. I uninstalled it and reinstalled multiple times and when I last re-installed it, it doesn't work at all. The preview screens (the one for the clip and the one for the timeline) both display only a green background. When I put clips on the timeline and press play, the output of the timeline doesn't display on the monitor, a green background is all that will display. The same goes for the clip monitor. And now when I tried to uninstall kdenlive (hoping to install it once again), it won't uninstall. Translation, I can't get rid of it.

I've used lots of NLEs, Media 100, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro and many others, this one just doesn't work. Does anyone know how I can uninstall it properly? I've used various command such as:

sudo apt-get remove kdenlive
sudo apt-get purge kdenlive

And I realize that how I uninstall it depends on how I installed it, but I no longer remember how I installed this last time, having done so many times. The program is also not listed in the Ubuntu Software listing. I don't know why.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by pjslo on Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:12 pm
Hello, that sounds terrible and I understand you that you have enough frustration and want to say goodbye.
It is noticeable that you do not know exactly how you installed Kdenlive. I guess that's where the error is.
I am confident that other helpers will know more quickly what went wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know.
But I suggest you try the AppImage, it has everything the program needs. Here is the link, but it's best to look for your language you want.

https://kdenlive.org/de/download-de/
https://kdenlive.org/en/download/

Personally, I would be very happy if you don't give up the courage yet. Keep in mind that Kdenlive works very well for many people.
When I was on Windows years ago, I used Vegas Pro. A great program - but the crashes were just as frequent there. Or: Kdenlive is at least as stable as this pro video editor.
pjslo
Registered Member

Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:48 pm
It's not abundantly clear to me what you mean by "It is noticeable that you do not know exactly how you installed Kdenlive. I guess that's where the error is". No, the error is in that the program isn't working. If it were working, I wouldn't have asked for help uninstalling it. As I had said, I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it so many times I had forgotten which method of installation I used this last time. And I had assumed that at the very least, the program would appear in the Ubuntu Software listing so that I could uninstall it using that method. Unfortunately, it does not appear in the Ubuntu Software listing. Also, I understand that programs crash (although it's also never been entirely clear to me why that's become "acceptable".) My refrigerator doesn't crash, my car doesn't crash, my vacuum doesn't crash, my washing machine doesn't crash. I think you get the point. But it's just generally understood that computer programs, maybe especially NLEs crash. Why is THAT okay? More importantly, the issue with my version of kdenlive is not that it "crashes". Now it doesn't work at all. That's a serious problem. I'm sorry if I sound angry, but that's only because I am angry (and tired of programs not working properly).

Thanks for your interest in trying to help.

Paul Jacobus
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:34 pm
Hallo Paul,
The first problem is that my English is very limited and I have to translate everything with DeepL.
Secondly, I am not a computer professional, I work as an artist and I use Kdenlive. Apart from occasional surprises, I can make very high quality videos. I have made over 60 with Kdenlive and no wish was left unfulfilled!

Yes, I did not understand what your problem is, why it is and I do not know how to fix it. But I know that Kdenlive is good, and very many users do very well with it. And I wish you the same - that's why my commitment.
Once again the tip: Use an AppImage, that should work in any case.
And, if you are also from Germany, then we could communicate easier, if not, then just continue in English.

And, if you're fed up, then it would also be perfectly fine to say goodbye to Kdenlive - do as you like.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with what you are doing.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
pjslo
Registered Member

Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:57 pm
Thanks again for trying to help. I live in the United States and can't speak any German. Sorry. But I HAVE been able to UNinstall kdenlive. It took a fair amount of work, but I figured it out. Now I'll have to decide if I want to reinstall it (again).

Paul
bartoloni
OS

Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:27 pm
i'm doing 1 or 2 video every week (youtube) using Kdenlive for Windows and right now i'm at the 500th video published... sometimes thera are bugs and sometimes not but on 5 years i was able to make videos without pauses... when i'm on Linux usually i download latest nighlty build (in APPimage format) to not spent time on installations ( https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Kden ... e-centos7/ )
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:58 pm
Hello bartoloni
are you sure that these nigthly app can be recommended?
I thought they were for testing and not for productive work.
For normal work, it is better to take these: https://kdenlive.org/en/download/
pjslo
Registered Member

Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:53 pm
Very frustrating. I re-installed kdenlive on my i5-4210U CPU with 16 gigabytes of RAM laptop. Kdenlive crashed innumerable times repeating a predictable pattern that is simply unacceptable. So I'll uninstall it and try another video editor on my Ubuntu system. Thanks for your help. And lots of luck with this incredibly unstable NLE.

Paul
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:22 pm
Hello Paul,
I wish you good luck. Besides Kdenlive, Shotcut is also recommended.
If that doesn't work for you either, then you should improve your Linux installation. Or switch to Manjaro right away. In the Manjaro forum you get the necessary help.
And then you could always go back to Kdenlive.