This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Webm support?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
supermanman
Registered Member

Webm support?

Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:25 pm
Hello there

I'm new to kdenlive and was using it to edit some .webm files. I ran into an issue though because when dealing with these files, the colours are awful and so is the quality. It looks washed out. Even before I render, in the preview pane that shows the video of your timeline, the colours are off there and everything is just a tad blurrier. Rendering yields the same results, a poor quality video.
I have checked the project settings and kdenlive default settings, even setting them to 4k 60fps. It doesn't change anything. I started a new project as well, no changes.
I tried other video files that weren't .webm and these seemed to work fine in kdenlive, the video preview matched how it should look. It's only these webm files that seem to cause these issues.

These webm files were obtained from my playstation using the in built capture settings. I think it uses vp9, the files were saved to the system and transferred via USB.
I am using the latest kdenlive. Does it perhaps just not have support for this? Any help is appreciated in fixing this.

Thanks
bartoloni
OS

Re: Webm support?

Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:27 am
you can suggest the "update" here: https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues
providing PNG images or small videos :)
i have also noticed issues with .Webm but i filled a lot of other issues and i don't want to add mores :)
btw a simple forced "transcoding" or conversion can solve the issue, FFMPEG is able to convert WEBM to MP4.
supermanman
Registered Member

Re: Webm support?

Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:12 pm
bartoloni wrote:you can suggest the "update" here: https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues
providing PNG images or small videos :)
i have also noticed issues with .Webm but i filled a lot of other issues and i don't want to add mores :)
btw a simple forced "transcoding" or conversion can solve the issue, FFMPEG is able to convert WEBM to MP4.

Thanks for the answer. I have a few clips so unfortunately it's not so easy to just transcode them all to mp4. I tried a quick convert but it still led to the same issue. It's a shame because I only realised after finishing the project.