This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Help with bugged project - unexpected end of file error

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dudo
Registered Member
Hello everybody,

After 2 months of working on a project my project got corrupted.
It displays "unexpected end of file" error (see pic.01)https://ibb.co/By0LbvL

If I try to recover, it will fail.
If I try to use one of the backups (see pic 02 https://ibb.co/DzgFrvr - I tried every single one), it will crash the Kdenlive (during opening the project it will just close off the whole application).

Is there anybody here who would help me restore this project?
All i need is a working copy

I am using Kdenlive v. 22.12.2 on Zorin OS.

I have located the files and put them into a tar.gz compressed file.

Any help with this would be appreciated.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
I am sorry to break this to you but there is very little hope.

The .kdenlive file in this archive is of 0 bytes length. I'm no expert but this points towards an issue with your storage (HDD or SSD).

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
dudo
Registered Member
berndmj wrote:I am sorry to break this to you but there is very little hope.

The .kdenlive file in this archive is of 0 bytes length. I'm no expert but this points towards an issue with your storage (HDD or SSD).

I don´t think it is a HDD problem. All the other working projects are 0 bytes of length too, and I can open and work with them.
bartoloni
OS
dudo wrote:I don´t think it is a HDD problem. All the other working projects are 0 bytes of length too, and I can open and work with them.

How do you think that a 0 bytes file can contain something? there are just 0 datas 0 information, no 1 line of the project.
looking at the first error the corruption is at the line 52319... (this mean that the .project has 52319 lines), you have to post the damaged (first) project not the backup (probably all backups are wrongly created by some special character on the title of project)

also.. backups on recent versions of kdenlive are not "packed" on some backup directory but on single files.. everyone with a different lenght.

you can access these backups on the special hidden folder ".backup"
dudo
Registered Member
bartoloni wrote:you can access these backups on the special hidden folder ".backup"

Thanks, you´re both savers, gentlemen!

I had no idea I was looking into the wrong folder - now I see those were only saved thumbnails etc. for individual frames from the project, project itself was in that folder you described (I was able to find it through Krusader search option, otherwise I wouldn´t know where to look for it).

When I tried to load the last backup from there, it loaded without problem (and I immediately did separate save) - God knows why it didn´t work from the Kdenlive UI itself, important thing is, it is working now and I can finish it.

Plus from now on I will do occasional separate saves, so this situation wouldn´t repeat.

Thanks again.