This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Question] Uniform display of varying size images and videos

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
justaclip
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm pretty new to Kdenlive and would like to know whether there is a way of setting images and video to a uniform size and position on the screen regardless of their resolution?

Currently I'm adding a transform and crop effect to each image/video individually and then resizing and moving them, which makes it impossible to copy and paste the effect. If possible I'd like to move all images I add to the left side of the screen and resize them to fill around 600 pixels and be centered on that section while maintaining their aspect ratio.

If all else fails, one solution would probably be to resize all the images I have, but I'm hoping for a solution within Kdenlive.
zolder
Registered Member
As far as i know, as far as i always experienced, kdenlive fits video's and images in the set video project size. It fits them automatically at max view .... unless video's are to small.
A 360p video f.i. in a 4K project will be shown smaller, centred and get's a black belt around it.

To fit and quick place them i use the pan and zoom plugin and it's knobs for quick aligning. Quick enough workflow for me.
Don't know it this can be done automated.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
AFAIK, the roadmap includes a feature where one can select whether Kdenlive keeps the original dimensions or adjusts/scales the clip to fit the project dimensions.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
zolder
Registered Member
Exactly. Settings to tell KdenLive what to do within what i explained.

But ... doesn't kdenlive ask what to do in such cases? To adjust or not to adjust?
I thought it does, it has such basic settings already. And then you don't have to alter the settings? You just can tell what to do at import?
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
zolder wrote:I thought it does, it has such basic settings already. And then you don't have to alter the settings? You just can tell what to do at import?

Only for the first video clip that is added to the Project Bin does Kdenlive ask whether the project settings should be changed to fit the video's properties. Everything after that is just added, and when put into the Timeline scaled to fit the project dimensions.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
zolder
Registered Member
Ok, clear. But again...
zolder wrote:... kdenlive fits video's and images in the set video project size. It fits them automatically at max view .... unless video's are to small.
A 360p video f.i. in a 4K project will be shown smaller, centred and get's a black belt around it.

Here they all fit themselves, as long as i use Kdenlive (6th? 8th? version). Even portrait vids in landscape projects (and vice versa) or a wide screen vid in a 4/3 project and such. I even work with non-standard sizes and even then. Never confronted any problems with that (only with smaller vids like 360p in HQ vids).
Yeah, sure, not always exactly as you wish (zoom or so), but they always fit themselves within the project.
I never set anything to get that. Factory settings. 8-)

Or am i missunderstanding TS's goal?
And I assume without hesitation that this can be altered in the settings somewhere, as in Kdenlive almost everything can be set ... which i clearly never needed to get good results (??) so why should that be needed (??).