This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Workshop video: building 6 RepRap open source 3D printers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS
I filmed this 2-day workshop at Fab Lab Berlin a couple of weeks ago - there's the whole process from basic assembly, through calibration and testing, to finally the printing stage:

http://yearofopensource.net/building-the-reprap-prusa-i3-3d-printer/

I switched to free software 7 months ago and having tried out Cinelerra, OpenShot, Novacut and PiTiVi I concluded there's nothing close to Kdenlive's capability.
Playback and reliability can sometimes be an issue though. I sometimes find, working on clips like this one, that things get a little ropey once you've got various colour correction filters on each clip, titles upon titles and fades all over the place - sometimes a transition will inexplicably slip out of place, or I accidentally nudge a track out of sync and only realize what has happened too many undos down the line...
Sometimes it will just crash and crash and crash. As I can't playback properly with filters I have to make little selections in the timeline and render those out to check sync and titles. (I'm editing proxies of Canon DSLR footage on a MacBook Pro with Ubuntu 12.10)

A few features that would be a great improvement for this style of video, where you're trying to get across a lot of information and story in a short priod of time:
-Accurate motion tracking - for titles attached to moving objects in shot (I tried the auto blur mask trick, no luck)
-Speed ramping - for montage sequences like the building sequence, in order to make a story more compact, and give an action a bit more life.
-Friendlier titling functionality overall - for each of the animated titles I have been creating a title, adjusting the start position, then setting an animation length of, say 6 frames. then I save that as a title template and name it 'Title X On'. Then add a new title, open the template, remove the animation, change the length and save that as 'Title X Hold' - then put the two titles together in the timeline. Simply setting a single title to animate on and then hold has never seemed to work for me.

Bugs, quirks and my own confusion aside (I'm new to Linux, and hardly using the most Linux-friendly computer, so I'm sure my settings are not all they could be) I'm pretty impressed with Kdenlive, and I'll be spending more time reading up on the forum to try to learn how everyone else is using it and how I can work better with it.

http://www.cameralibre.cc
Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything