This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Jitter using clip and timeline monitors with 0.7 head

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sweller
Registered Member

All,

I'd appreciate some advice on how I can troubleshoot a jitter problem I've got using Kdenlive 0.7 head.

Symptoms: If I attempt to playback a clip in the clip monitor or playback a clip in the timeline, I get both video and voice jitter to the point that the software is unusable. The time counter will skip ahead for a few seconds and freeze briefly, and this cycle will continue for the length of the clip.

This occurs on any video format I've tried thus far, and is also reproducible when using inigo. The issue is not present when using ffplay or mplayer. CPU usage is very low when this occurs.

I'm thinking it may be a compatibility issue between my hardware and MLT...possibly the Nvidia card and/or drivers.

Software in use:

Mandriva 2009.0 64bit

MLT: Revision: 1240 (--enable-gpl --avformat-swscale --enable-motion-est --enable-debug --qimage-libdir=/usr/lib64 --qimage-includedir=/usr/lib/qt4/include --disable-mmx)

MLT++: 1240 (--enable-debug)

ffmpeg: Revision: 15884 (--disable-network --disable-ffserver --enable-gpl --enable-shared --enable-swscale --enable-debug --enable-pthreads --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libvorbis)

Qt: 4.4.3

KDE: 4.1.2

Kdenlive: Revision: 2716

Hardware:

AMD Phenom Quad core 2.3

4GB Ram

Nvidia 8600GT (177.70 drivers).

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks in advance,

- Si

Bugsbane
Registered Member

Hi Si,

This sounds like an issue for Dan "The Man" Dennedy, who can usually best be found squashing bugs in the bugtracker.

If you could post this in the bug tracker, I'm sure an answer will be forthcoming.

Thanks for letting us know. 8-)

sweller
Registered Member

Will do, thanks.

Bugsbane
Registered Member

You're welcome.

Nice bug report by the way... All the things we love to see:

1. Good description

2. Steps to reproduce

3. Software and hardware versions.

Oh, if they were all that good... :)

sweller
Registered Member

I work with a lot of software companies in the carrier voice space and if you don't give them exactly what they want to see (and often even if you do) they punt the defect back to you asking for more evidence, so I like to be as verbose (and to the point) as possible on the actual issue and how to reproduce it.

- Si