This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDEnlive usable for a school with OSX

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jeaneckard
Registered Member

KDEnlive usable for a school with OSX

Mon May 11, 2015 12:59 pm
hi!
I'm trying to deploy KDEnlive with XQuartz () on OSX machines (10.8 or 10.9) and I've encountered several problems which can probably be solved easily, but I'd require some help...
- I installed KDEnlive with MacPorts on one machine where I could set up the language directly (via the "Help" menu), but my XQuartz installation lacks that option -- and I'd like to be able to use XQuartz all over the place as it's easier to install. How can I change the language, or is it possible for someone to provide me with a French-default version?
- Upon testing, I noticed that KDEnlive generates some files locally (titles, amongst other things). BUT the goal is to be able to work off a network (which iMovie obviously and annoyingly doesn't support). Is there a possibility to force KDEnlive to create ALL files alongside the .kdenlive xml file, so pupils can log in from any computer on the school network and find their complete project?
I know I ask a lot, but these things should be quite easy with a Unix-based system.
Thanks for your time!
Jean
Steve Guilford
Registered Member
jeaneckard wrote:- Upon testing, I noticed that KDEnlive generates some files locally (titles, amongst other things). BUT the goal is to be able to work off a network (which iMovie obviously and annoyingly doesn't support). Is there a possibility to force KDEnlive to create ALL files alongside the .kdenlive xml file, so pupils can log in from any computer on the school network and find their complete project?
I know I ask a lot, but these things should be quite easy with a Unix-based system.
Thanks for your time!
Jean

Jean,

I can do this - with a database. Doing this with a file-based system is not as easy as it may seem.

I have a version of Kdenlive (0.9.10) that runs off of a database. The code is in a branch on the GIT server. http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fkdenlive%2Fsteveguilford%2Fkdenlive_db.git

Steve...>>>
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
- about language, maybe you can try launching the command "LANG=fr_CH.UTF-8 kdenlive", and if it works update the launch shortcuts
- about network editing, what is the kind of file sharing you use (for projects but also source media)? if users have their work data on a NFS share (or SMB) then network should be transparent? No need for a DB...
jeaneckard
Registered Member
Hello vpinon!
Thanks for your answer... I'll try your command line as soon as I get access to my test machine again.
As for the file share, it's indeed SMB so pretty transparent, but the problem is that when I save my project onto the server (where the source files are, too), some little things like titles (created inside KDEnlive) are saved locally, and not alongside the .kdenlive project file. So I need to find a way to ask KDEnlive to save these in the same folder as the project.
I didn't see the need for a database either.
Thanks again!
Jean
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Ah, understood, project files are saved in the project folder: you should define it on the SMB share (default setting in Kdenlive configuration, and to fix old projects it is in project properties)