This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to install kdenlive 15+ on Ubuntu 14.04

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
em4n3m
Registered Member
Folks,

I have sync audio issue with version 9.10 when rendering my HD video.
I've been told to update to version 15+, I've followed the instructions here, but with this ppa seems I can only update to 9.10 with Ubuntu 14.04.

How can I really get kdenlive 15+ on Ubuntu 14.04? Is it possible?
Or is it true that 15+ can only run on Ubuntu 15.04+? Why develop something not runnable on main current LTS?

I understand you love cutting edge technology, but still, many folks now are always on LTS...

Thanks for your help,
E
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
is it true that 15+ can only run on Ubuntu 15.04+?

Yes it's true. Kdenlive 15.04 is the port of 0.9.10 to KDE Frameworks 5, which is available in Ubuntu only starting from 15.04.

Why develop something not runnable on main current LTS?
I understand you love cutting edge technology

KF5 is not cutting edge technology but more than 1 year old, and both KDElibs4 and Qt4 are running out of support. Synchronizing development effort with ecosystem is the obvious choice.

If you want stable environment then 0.9.10 is for you.

but still, many folks now are always on LTS...

And to my opinion this choice comes from a misunderstanding: Long Term "Support" concerns only core packages (kernel, web/database servers), but most of user software will carry the bugs frozen at release time.
As you will keep those bugs for 2 years you will get used to ;)
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Oh and rendering is not really kdenlive's concern, the problem most probably comes from MLT or LibAV.
So upgrading MLT from sunab PPA is a 1st try, if it fails then try daily builds which embed fresh multimedia libs (and the original ffmpeg instead of libav).
em4n3m
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:Oh and rendering is not really kdenlive's concern, the problem most probably comes from MLT or LibAV.
So upgrading MLT from sunab PPA is a 1st try, if it fails then try daily builds which embed fresh multimedia libs (and the original ffmpeg instead of libav).

How can I do this upgrade only?

Thanks
E