This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Install Kdenlive on Linux Mint 17.3: advice, best practice

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
timadams
Registered Member
What is the safest and most foolproof way to install kdenlive in Linux Mint 17.3?

I failed twice twice, succeeded once, and hope to succeed again in installing kdenlive on a new Linux Mint 17.3 computer. Unfortunately, stupid me forgot to take decent notes during the past successful installation. I've forgotten what I did right!

Failure #1: Menu --> Software Manager --> kdenlive

The repository installed kdenlive, and the kdenlive interface loaded, but crashed repeatedly before any work could be accomplished.

Failure #2: Adding a kdenlive-specific repository

An error message indicated that the repository didn't support Linux Mint 17.3's version of Ubuntu. (Trusty, I think.)

Success: sudo apt-get

But I no longer remember what all I 'apt-got.' It worked, whatever I did! Kdenlive runs.

I know, and admit: my fault for not taking better notes.

Can anyone provide definitive advice on how to make kdenlive work in Linux Mint 17.3?
linuxloon
Registered Member
You can use the sunlab ppa to install but because of the older version of ubuntu that mint 17.3 is based on, the 0.9.1 release is the most current version that will work. I just switched from mint 17.3 to ubuntu 16.04 (w/ Cinnamon 3.0) for that reason. Mint 18 will fix that but it won't be out for a few months.
https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/Installation#Installing_from_Sunab.27s_PPA

ppa:sunab/kdenlive-release
DoomDahDoomDoom
Registered Member
OS
I had the same issue when installing from the Software Manager. I uninstalled that version, then added the ppa:sunab/kdenlive-release to my software sources, as suggested by linuxloon. After that I went to install again using the Software Manager and I noticed that the version number included something about the sunab ppa, so I tried it... and it works perfectly. No need to go to the terminal for apt-get.

So in terms of suggested practice here are the steps:

1. In Software Manager, add the ppa:sunab/kdenlive-release to your software sources (Edit->Software Sources->PPAs)
2. Search for KDEnlive and Install with Software Manager.