This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Thumbnail and transition errors Version 16.04.1

Tags: qxcbconnection, thumbcreator, thumbnails, kdenlive qxcbconnection, thumbcreator, thumbnails, kdenlive qxcbconnection, thumbcreator, thumbnails, kdenlive
(comma "," separated)
gentoomatt
Registered Member
I have recently compiled Version 16.04.1 on a gentoo system. I use kdenlive within the dwm window manager. Further version details are:

KDE Frameworks 5.21.0
Qt 5.5.1 (built against 5.5.1)
The xcb windowing system

I also compiled the development build 16.07.70. The development build is using the libraries installed through Gentoo.

I was formerly using the Qt4-based v.0.9.10 which worked fine. With v.16.04.1 there are a currently a few issues with the installation. Any help resolving these would be appreciated. They might be dependency issues in Gentoo but a steer on which packages could be causing the issues would be helpful

No thumbnails when selecting a project clip. The error in the terminal window is: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "ThumbCreator" not found. Applies to Gentoo and development build (although no files/folders at all are shown in the development build following Project => Add clip)

I noticed I also get this "ThumbCreator" error when I did an Ubuntu binary install of kdenlive on a separate machine.

A further issue is the use of certain transitions. One of the reasons I installed this version was to be able to use CairoAffineBlend. When I try to use this transition I get an error: "Cannot add transition" (with no further detail). I assume this is related to the startup error I am getting: [producer_xml] failed to load transition "frei0r.cairoblend" (applies to Gentoo and development build) .

The compile ("use") flags I have set in gentoo for mlt are the ones marked ++

[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[ : I - package is installed with flag ]
[ Colors : set, unset ]
* Found these USE flags for media-libs/mlt-6.2.0:
U I
- - compressed-lumas : Compress the luma files in png.
- - cpu_flags_x86_mmx : Use the MMX instruction set
- - cpu_flags_x86_sse : Use the SSE instruction set
- - cpu_flags_x86_sse2 : Use the SSE2 instruction set
- - debug : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Qu ... Backtraces
+ + ffmpeg : Enable ffmpeg/libav-based audio/video codec support
+ + fftw : Use FFTW library for computing Fourier transforms
+ + frei0r : Build the module for media-plugins/frei0r-plugins
+ + gtk : Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)
+ + jack : Add support for the JACK Audio Connection Kit
- - kde : Add support for KDE (K Desktop Environment)
+ + kdenlive : Build support for kde-apps/kdenlive
- - libav : Prefer libav over ffmpeg whenever both are supported
- - libsamplerate : Build with support for converting sample rates using libsamplerate
- - lua : Build SWIG bindings for Lua
+ + melt : Build the melt commandline tool
+ + opengl : Add support for OpenGL (3D graphics)
+ + python : Build SWIG bindings for Python
+ + python_targets_python2_7 : Build with Python 2.7
- - qt4 : Add support for the Qt GUI/Application Toolkit version 4.x
+ + qt5 : Add support for the Qt 5 applicationlaptop and UI framework
- - rtaudio : Builds rtaudio consumer for native audio support on multiple platforms.
- - ruby : Build SWIG bindings for Ruby
+ + sdl : Add support for Simple Direct Layer (media library)
- - vdpau : Enable the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix acceleration interface
- - xine : Add support for the XINE movie libraries
+ + xml : Add support for XML files
laptop
and for kdenlive itself:

[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[ : I - package is installed with flag ]
[ Colors : set, unset ]
* Found these USE flags for kde-apps/kdenlive-16.04.1:
U I
+ + debug : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Qu ... Backtraces
- - gles2 : Use GLES 2.0 or later instead of full OpenGL
+ + handbook : Enable handbooks generation for KDE4.
- - semantic-desktop : Cross-KDE support for semantic search and information retrieval
- - v4l : Enable support for video4linux (using linux-headers or userspace libv4l libraries)
LilZebra
Registered Member
OS
I get the "KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "ThumbCreator" not found" error too when I set up a couple of clips in the Library.

To recreate go View > Library. Drag an item or items into the Library window. Start a new project. Drag items from Library window onto the Project Bin. Drag items onto the Timeline.

After doing that when I select "Add Clip..." the Kdenlive file manager opens but the cursor is stuck twirling round and round.

Typing 'kdenlive' at the Linux prompt displays the following errors:

Code: Select all
[lilzebra@nightowl ~]$ kdenlive
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 675, resource id: 14680080, major code: 154 (Unknown), minor code: 11
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "ThumbCreator" not found
[swscaler @ 0x7f0f10609420] Warning: data is not aligned! This can lead to a speedloss

I have to use the program killer to exit Kdenlive. And I also must delete or rename the file 'kdenliverc' or else I cannot add in new clips.

I installed Kdenlive from RPMFusion.repo

Kdenlive 17.12.3 MLT 6.4.1, Qt 5.6.2
Fedora 27 GNOME 3.26