This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Updating on Debian

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JohnLocke
Registered Member

Updating on Debian

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:43 am
Hello, I have a question about updating kdenlive on Debian Jessie. I am currently using kdenlive version 0.9.10 and I would like to update to the latest version (16.04.0). I don't see an option available to update, is there a way to do it without having to reinstall from scratch?

As I recall I had problems installing it the first time but I finally managed to get it working. I would really like to get the latest version, but I have a few slideshows that are coming up and I need to have a version that works. If the only way to update it is to "apt-get install" again, I may wait since I don't want to risk trading the older version I have now for one that will give me installation problems again.

Most software seem to have an option built-in to check for updates, am I missing something or does kdenlive not come with this option?

Thank you for your help.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Updating on Debian

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:00 am
Hello,

Unfortunately Debian Stable doesn't include Qt5 & KDE Frameworks 5, to which we ported Kdenlive after 0.9.10.
So if you want to build from source, you will need to build Qt5 and ~20 frameworks, rebuild MLT with Qt5...

We are about to start this work, to provide AppImages that would run on any distro (beyond Centos6: OK for Jessie and even Ubuntu 12.04), but we would like to finish the work on windows installer first. Can you wait a few weeks/months?

And there is always the possibility to test a newer distro in a partition / chroot / VM.

Cheers,

Vincent