This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Recommended Distro to get latest stable version of Kdenlive?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
I am currently running Linux Mint 17.3 and the latest version of Kdenlive available is 0.9.10. I want to run at least v16. After almost three years using LM with Cinnamon I am ready to move on and will install a newer, later distro.

In the past, I would have asked, "What distro do the Kdenlive developers use?" I am thinking Ubuntu. Am I likely right? Or, is it Debian? So, not liking the Unity DE I am thinking Lubuntu instead.

I want the latest, most stable editing experience and the very old version on Mint crashes constantly. I would appreciate any advice -thanks.

-=Ken=- 8)

KDE Neon 5.15, ASRock MB with Ryzen 3 1200 and 16 GB RAM, GEForce GT-710
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
KDE Neon and Arch will have the most up to date version the quickest, but you can also use any *buntu from LTS and newer (as well as Mint), then add the official kdenlive ppa to get there as well. I am sure the other big distros have a way to get newer Kdenlive versions as well, so your field is wide open, really.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the reply. I just now discovered your reply because I can't find a Control Panel option here to send me email notifications.

I had to look up what KDE Neon was. I hadn't heard of it yet. I had heard of the Plasma desktop when it was introduced. I remember a lot of controversy. But Plasma looks pretty nice. I tried adding the PPA for Kdenlive to Mint 17.3 and it said it didn't support "Trusty." After switching to Linux Mint 3 years ago I am ready for a new distro rather than upgrading to verion 18. I was looking at Lubuntu but KDE Neon now looks more interesting. I will create a Live CD and try it out. Thanks,

-=Ken=- 8)

kalimerox
Registered Member
about distros: i switched on my laptop from mint to manjaro (xfce desktop) and i m very happy with it!
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
kalimerox wrote:about distros: i switched on my laptop from mint to manjaro (xfce desktop) and i m very happy with it!

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't looked at Manjero either. A more interesting version of Arch. I am an ancient geek (I was a geek before it became fashionable ;D ) And, the ability to continuously upgrade in-place is compelling. However, I think I would prefer to stay closer to Unbuntu.

kalimerox
Registered Member
haha, i fully understand. I have to admit i dont have much a clue about arch but just swapped distros a lot till manjaro stayed on the laptop because it was the most stable and fastest. but there are definitely advantages in staying close to ubuntu! also if you do sound work it s fantastic to have the kxstudio repos in ubuntu / debian..
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Well, after stumbling through using other distributions - and other video editors - I discovered something called an "AppImage" :o
Much to my surprise, I can now run the latest (17.04.1 right now) in Linux Mint 17.3 - no need to upgrade anything. Just download it, put it in a suitable folder, change the permissions to make it executable - and it really does work! Makes it easy to upgrade as well. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Solved!

Edit: I spoke too soon. Yesterday Kdenlive appeared to be working OK but I saved testing until today. Today I cannot get Kdenlive to load even DV/AVI files without crashing. So, I am NOT pleased. Shotcut is not a finished project but it seldom crashes. I really wanted to use Kdenlive but........ :'(

-=Ken=-