This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't access Ubuntu system folders; render location error

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tdonnelly
Registered Member
I'm running a recently installed Kdenlive Version 17.04.3, on a PC running Ubuntu Mate 17.04 (incorporating Mate Desktop Environment 1.18.0).

Kdenlive was installed yesterday via the official ppa: (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable)

I am able to add clips to a yet-unnamed project through the Project > Add Clip menu choice. In implementing this command, I am able to view all the folders on my Ubuntu system, and successfully import a clip for editing.

However, other commands that also require system drive and folder access fail to work. For example, the File > Open command opens a white box -- but does not show all the individual folders on my system (although it shows some of the drives at left). If I try to click on an individual drive, it just hangs - but does not display the folders in the drive. I am, however, still able to close the box through the "Cancel" button at the bottom.

The File > Save As command works even less well. In this case, it just opens up a plain white box -- but there are no drives or system folders of any kind displayed. No "Cancel" button either. I am, however, able to close the box by executing the "x" icon on top of the box.

Interestingly, through testing, I realized that I am actually able to render a project -- but there are problems here, too.

Selecting the "Render" button on the main GUI opens the "Rendering - Kdenlive" input box. However, I am unable to type anything in the "Output file" input area. And clicking on the "Select Output Destination" box to the right opens up another plain white box (that shows some of my system drives at left -- but not the individual folders, as I already experienced above).

However, as an experiment, I tried just hitting "Render to File" to see if it would force a rendering. It did -- it created an "Untitled.mp4" file -- but in a new folder called "DoRcruments" off /home/user (file:///home/user/DoRcruments)!

I'm wondering if the problem is related to some missing library or other component that ensures proper network resource access between Kdenlive and Ubuntu? Since the rendering worked (sort of), it doesn't suggest a folder/system writing permissioning issue.

Many thanks. I look forward to your suggestions. (Note I have already submitted this as a bug via the Kde bug-tracking system).
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello
Can you test with kdenlive-testing PPA?
It brings you the 17.07.90 (=17.08.0 beta, currently building at time of writing) that has a fix for some dialog box problems...
tdonnelly
Registered Member
Hi -- thanks for the quick reply. I have installed the testing version (17.07.90) via the ppa, and will be running some tests later today. Will report back shortly.

T
tdonnelly
Registered Member
I performed testing today with Version 17.07.90, via the testing ppa.

I can confirm that the problems outlined earlier continue (although with slight variation).

Here are the individual testing steps:

1. Attempt the command File > Open.

Executing this command brought up a pop-up window displaying a few -- but not all - of my Ubuntu Mate file locations in the left hand window. The right hand window (which presumably would show individual folders and files) was blank. Clicking on individual file locations at left caused the pop-up window to hang -- but could be escaped via the "Cancel" button.

Screenshot: https://mega.nz/#!NypyGAoD!N3-UCw-fv56EAK-7jJHzPEanBIT9BxYLNa7rby0dOHo

2. Attempt the command File > Save As

Executing this command brought up a pop-up window displaying just a big, blank, white window. I was able to escape via the orange "x" icon at top right.

Screenshot: https://mega.nz/#!0nolTIzC!0NkN5LyIpFEke6rkIMIybxxNNAN_X79BtlAaaewzc_g

3. Attempt to select render location on main toolbar.

Attempting to select a custom render location on the main toolbar caused a new pop-up window to display. It also is just a large, blank, white window.

Screenshot: https://mega.nz/#!JuwWDbaJ!QJLQbQERpNtd0Clqp04bcuuNcRid1DcMAEm_TCArIxs

4. Attempt to directly render unnamed project via the "Render" menu icon on main toolbar

Attempting to select the "Render" menu item on the main toolbar to force a rendering of the unnamed project opened up a small pop-up window entitled "Rendering - Kdenlive". The "Job Queue" tab was displayed by default. Rendering was shown as finished for a file titled "untitled.webm" in a newly created subfolder, "/home/terence/DocRenderuments". I can confirm that this file was created on my hard drive in that folder. Its size was 3.9 KiB.

Screenshot: https://mega.nz/#!M2wTlB4A!gGnYzlWxWXoCWh6HA8VxHUINkpcBnV682LaauP5gIwo

Note that this is slightly different than the first testing with the "stable" version of Kdenlive. During that rendering test, the program created a new subfolder called "/home/terence/DoRcruments".

T
tdonnelly
Registered Member
I'm checking on the status of this apparent bug.

T
jmotron
Registered Member
Please help us I have exactly the same problem so that's a little embarrassing
Merlimau
Registered Member
This problem occurs under windows as well. When the clip is on the same drive as the Kdenlive program you get a white window when you go to file -> open.
There are several posts about that and some bug reports as well.
Work around: Put the clip via drag and drop into the project bin.
Alexandr0905
Registered Member