This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Settings Menu, Download New Wipes, etc does not work

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Using AppImage 17.12.0 selecting from the Settings menu, brings up 'Get Hot New Stuff - Kdenlive' dialog window with an error message on the bottom:

Download New Wipes... dialog says, "Configuration file is invalid: "kdenlive_wipes.knsrc"
Download New Render Profiles... says, Configure file is invalid: "kdenlive_renderprofiles.knsrc"
Download New Title Templates... says, "Configuration file is invalid: "kdenlive_titles.knsrc"

Anyone using AppImages have these errors?

-=Ken=-

KDE Neon 5.15, ASRock MB with Ryzen 3 1200 and 16 GB RAM, GEForce GT-710
bartoloni
OS
very strange issue.. no idea about that..
you can try to delete the hidden folder (of kdenlive) on user home (can be 2 folder.. one for standard rellease.. and one for the Appimage)

just to be sure that this is not related to a previous version of the application,

Also.. have you tried the 0b revision? https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 4.AppImage
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for pointing out the latest AppImage. I am now using the AppImage 17.12.0b although it still identifies in Help/About Kdenlive as 17.12.0 :o
Edit: Dec 23rd - upgraded to 17.12.0c AppImage and the problem still exists.

Although I am sure there are some leftovers from the 0.9.10 Mint repository install, I searched my file system for *.knsrc and came up with nothing. I may still have to figure out how do the repository removal and cleanup.

Edit: removed the ppa:sunab/kdenlive-release repository and no change. I am getting my system ready for KDE Neon install. That will fix everything, right? ;D

-=Ken=-

farrotin
Registered Member
I confirm the same behaviour : "Configuration file is invalid : kdenlive_wipes.knsrc"
Version used : Kdenlive-17.12.0d-x86_64.AppImage

The only place where I can find that file (and others like that) isn't in my home directory, but rather in the generated appimage
So, once started, they are mounted under tmp :
/tmp/.mount_YXZNoe/usr/etc/xdg (it of course depends on each run) and the file seems to content what it needs to :

[KNewStuff3]
Name=Kdenlive Transition Wipes
Name[ca]=Cortinetes de transició del Kdenlive
Name[ca@valencia]=Cortinetes de transició del Kdenlive
Name[cs]=Přechod stírání Kdenlive
Name[el]=Μετάβαση με σκούπισμα στο Kdenlive
Name[en_GB]=Kdenlive Transition Wipes
Name[es]=Barridos de transición de Kdenlive
Name[fi]=Kdenliven siirtymäpyyhkäisyt
Name[fr]=Transitions par balayage de Kdenlive
Name[gl]=Borrados de transición de Kdenlive
Name[it]=Wipe di transizione di Kdenlive
Name[ko]=Kdenlive 트랜지션 전환
Name[nl]=Overgangsvegen van Kdenlive
Name[pl]=Przejścia Kdenlive
Name[pt]=Varrimentos de Transição do Kdenlive
Name[sk]=Zahladenia prechodov Kdenlive
Name[sl]=Obrisi prehodov za Kdenlive
Name[sv]=Kdenlive-övergångar
Name[tr]=Kdenlive Geçiş Ekranları
Name[uk]=Перехідні витирання Kdenlive
Name[x-test]=xxKdenlive Transition Wipesxx
Name[zh_CN]=Kdenlive 过渡擦除
ProvidersUrl=http://download.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml
Categories=Kdenlive FX
TargetDir=kdenlive/lumas/HD
Uncompress=archive

When launching through terminal (it doesn't create the desktop entry anyway), it also complains about this :
"kdenlive_wipes.knsrc" doesn't contain a KNewStuff3 section.

So is the generated AppImage for Kdenlive searching for that existing file at the correct path/location ?

So what can be the issue ?
farrotin
Registered Member
Just as a dumb test : creating that file in /etc/xdg (so local filesystem) works so pretty sure that there is something wrong with the generated AppImage : it probably shouldn't be <tmp_mount>/usr/etc/xdg but rather <tmp_mount>/etc/xdg ?
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, farrotin. With that confirmation I will attempt using the fearsome bug reporting system. :o

Edit: OK, I added my current problem to an existing one in the bug tracker from version 15.11

Since this "bug" has not been resolved for two years is there any OTHER way to get the additional wipes, render profiles and titles such as finding them here online? Perhaps manually adding them?

-=Ken=-

farrotin
Registered Member
As said, if you "copy" those files to /etc/xdg (at least on my system) it then shows those
but then it fails to download/install anything.
Whatever it tries, the terminal shows : "kf5.kwidgetsaddons: Invalid framesize."

Also, no settings seem to be saved at all : switching theme for example, then closing, opening it again revert all changes

What's the bug tracker url, so that I can report that too ?

I thought that AppImage was there to save the world, but I guess it depends on how it's generated and tested :-)
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
OK, looks like it wouldn't do any good to try doing it manually.

Yes, the Theme alternatives seem to be available mainly to those running the KDE desktop environment. It is fortunate that Kdenlive seems stable on other DEs now - the Theme limitations I suppose can be lived with.

Bug tracker url: https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi - be brave when going there :o

Re: AppImage. Yes, you may be aware there are three relatively new technologies, SNAP, Flatpack and AppImage, for adding self-contained applications to Linux systems. The AppImage of Shotcut and Kdenlive allows me to run the very latest releases instead of the three year old and unstable version in the Mint repositories.

I guess it should be kept in mind that these bugs don't prohibit making use of the core capabilities of Kdenlive. And that I do appreciate.

-=Ken=-

kenj69
Registered Member
OS
I just installed KDE Neon for a shakedown on an older Core2 Duo system and - Kdenlive works completely as advertised. It looks like I will be migrating to KDE Neon on my main system in a few weeks.

-=Ken=-

kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Postscript: I am happy to relate that Kdenlive is stable and works as advertised with all bells and whistles on a new install of KDE Neon 5.11. I am glad I switched!

-=Ken=-

idotherock
Registered Member
Hey, a bit late to the discussion but I had the exact same problem when I tried to use the AppImage on Linux Mint today.

I solved the problem by installing the version of Kdenlive in the Mint Repository (the really old one!) and then running the AppImage. Clearly installing the repository version puts a copy of the relevant files in the location that the AppImage is looking for them. It's not the best solution as you end up with some clutter on your system, but it does give you access to some sweeeeet wipes.

To make things a little nicer I also edited the Kdenlive entry in the Applications menu and changed the command

"kdenlive %U"

to

"/path-to-file/Kdenlive-17.12.0d-x86_64.AppImage %U"

This makes it so that the AppImage version launches whenever selected from the menu or run from a launcher (I use Kupfer)

Hope this helps, it certainly made me happier! ;D
kenj69
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the additional feedback. Never too late. :)

I'm glad the AppImage is working for you. I was using the Cinnamon DE. What DE are you using?

With KDE Neon all seems to working fine now. Out of curiosity I downloaded and ran the Beta 18.04.70 AppImage and, except for some peculiar Beta quirks, all the "Cool extras" seem to work. Under Cinnamon Mint I had already used the 0.9.10 version and the extras in the AppImages did not work for me.

AppImages, in my understanding, are self-contained. They contain such things as FFMpeg which Mint doesn't have or support. So, I am surprised at your experience. Happy for you!

-=Ken=-