This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Installation never works right.. why?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mikicaveman
Registered Member
Hi there,

I bought a new hp laptop with a built-in DVD player. I tried to install Kdenlive for Windows 10 by exactly following the instruction on the Kdenlive online manual. Then I found the following problems:

1. In Kdenlive-18.4.01 folder, there is no file ‘Kdenlive.exe’. I tried a file ‘Kdenlive’ (no extension but file type was application) and finally it opened it, but it took more than 15 minutes. Why?

2. Also there popped up an error message window listing the missing applications such as BreezeIcons or FFmpeg. But the list also included vlc or xine to install. Why do I need to install DVD player for the laptop with a built-in DVD player? (Is there any way that Kdenlive can use the built-in?)

3. I wanted to create a short video-gallery that uses photographs of my watercolor works and some text panels. So I tried to add clips by choosing the files in JPG and GIF format, but Kdenlive rejected them. To what format do I need them converted? (JPEG only?)

Here is the system information for my laptop:

Model: HP250 G6 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R)CPUN3060@1.6GHz
Current speed of processor: 1600 MHz
Memory Size: 4 GB (RAM)
64bit

I am not sure whether I can fix the problems even if there is someone who could help, but really appreciate it if he/she will help me understand why these problems happened.
Thanks in advance.
Miki
Merlimau
Registered Member
There is something wrong.

Your 4GB memory is on the lower end for WIN10. This could be the reason it takes 15mines to start up.
Check the error message you get with Kdenlive. Win+r -> eventvwr. Search in the error folder for application errors and post the error messages wich are Kdenlive related (application Kdenlive).

Re-install it:
- Delete the Kdenlive folder
- Win+r -> appdata -> local -> delete the Kdenlive folder.

Download Kdenlive 18.04.1d from here: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 1d-w64.zip
Unzip the folder and store it where you like (there is no installation needed). Go into the folder and start Kdenlive (the file with the Kdenlive icon).
mikicaveman
Registered Member
Merlimau:

Thank you very much for your relply.
I deleted the Kdenlive folder and related files previously installed and re-installed the one you provided. It worked out fine.
I agree with you that 4GB memory is the major cause for taking so long to get the app to start.
However the 3rd problem: cannot add clips in JPG format remains. My error message says:

Invalid clip - Kdenlive (title on the pop-up window)
Clip is invalid, will be removed from project.

Actually, I have used Kdenlive to perform the same tasks when I was using Linux (OpenSuse Leap) in the past and had no problem to add photo images in JPG format. I have also seen a YouTube video recently demonstrating to create a slide show by using photos saved in JPG format. I wonder if there is some problem other than image format to be fixed.

Thanks in advance for your sharing knowledge to find a solution to this problem.
Miki
bartoloni
OS
mikicaveman wrote:Merlimau:

Thank you very much for your relply.
I deleted the Kdenlive folder and related files previously installed and re-installed the one you provided. It worked out fine.
I agree with you that 4GB memory is the major cause for taking so long to get the app to start.
However the 3rd problem: cannot add clips in JPG format remains. My error message says:

Invalid clip - Kdenlive (title on the pop-up window)
Clip is invalid, will be removed from project.

Actually, I have used Kdenlive to perform the same tasks when I was using Linux (OpenSuse Leap) in the past and had no problem to add photo images in JPG format. I have also seen a YouTube video recently demonstrating to create a slide show by using photos saved in JPG format. I wonder if there is some problem other than image format to be fixed.

Thanks in advance for your sharing knowledge to find a solution to this problem.
Miki

make sure you are using the "D" release of 18.04.1 ... https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 1d-w64.zip (make sure also to extract and launch Kdenlive.exe after a windows reboot... because old "sessions" of kdenlive.exe are not killed when closing main app)

i'm also using a 4Gb configuration (with SSD) .. and opening Kdenlive require 4 seconds.
the Kdenlive.exe is Kdenlive because Windows default configuration hides "extensions" (is a good thing -on windows- to un-hide extensione because a lot of E-mail viruses uses fake extensions to inject the system.. for example: document.doc.exe .. displayed: document.doc )
mikicaveman
Registered Member
Hi there,
Many thanks to suggestions.
It seems the same after re-installing again. Adding image files in JPG format seems impossible as well.
I don't think there is any problem in Kdenlive application: something wrong with my OS.
Meantime I speculate that this project won't be completed within my timetable, so I must give it up at this moment and work on another time.
I'm looking forward to having your help next time I post my questions.
Thanks again,
M.
Merlimau
Registered Member
When I drag and drop the first JPG into the project bin I get asked: "No profile found for your clip, Create and switch to new profile (6544x3680, 50fps)?” I selected "cancel".

- Drag /Drop the JPG on video 1 in the timeline.
- Put a second JPG on video 1 just behind the first JPG into the timeline.
- Add a wipe between the 2 JPG.
- Render it out as MPG4.
- Double click the MPG4 and it runs including the wipe.

Do you have set the project settings before you put in the first JPG into the bin? Project –> project settings -> I set it to “HD 1080p 50 fps”.
mikicaveman
Registered Member
Merliau:

I am very happy to inform you that it worked! (I can't believe this.)
As you suggested, I chose “HD 1080p 50 fps" and got image files on the timeline. (Actually I was able to add them into the bin as well.)
To render the file, I counldn't find MPG4, so I instead chose 'wmv' (Windows Media Player). I clicked the saved video file and had the built-in media player launched, then it showed what I just rendered.
You don't know how much I appreciated your help. I had already given up and begun to work on the LibreOffice Impress as other people suggested.
I will post my mini-video gallery before the end of this month. I hope you will find and enjoy it.
Thanks again.
Miki
Merlimau
Registered Member
mikicaveman wrote:I counldn't find MPG4, so I instead chose 'wmv' (Windows Media Player)

Strange. Make sure you have version 18.04.1d installed then all FFMPEG files are correct. Make sure you follow this steps: viewtopic.php?f=269&t=152358. Or you delete there the Kdenlive folder. No warries it’s only cache data and/or your prefered settings which you can redo.