This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Upgraded to Win 10 - kdenlive now crashes on "save"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JKScotland
Registered Member
Hi, I upgraded my laptop from Win 7 to 10. I also migrated from an HDD to SSD - and deleted a kdenlive folder in my profile folder.

kdenlive stopped working - it crashes as soon as I try to save a new project saying "kdenlive has stopped working". I tried to re-install but the issue remains.

In the Save dialogue, the file types drop down is empty.

I noticed in settings, that the location for ffmpeg, ffplay etc. were wrong - i.e. for a previous install so I re-pointed them to the new location (a portable installation in Documents).

What have I done?!!? Any help appreciated.
Merlimau
Registered Member
If the environment path points to the correct folder and you have still issues please update all your video and audio driver (see here: https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... live_hangs) . Delete kdenliverc and close/open Kdenlive several times.
JKScotland
Registered Member
Thanks Merlimau - I've followed those instructions (I opened and closed 8 times after deleting/renaming the kdenliverc file), and still have the same fault.

The Save project dialogue still shows no file-type in the "Save as type" field. Looks like something major is missing.

Any more advice appreciated.
(In the mean time, I'll read more of that article you linked to).
Merlimau
Registered Member
Make sure all drivers (video, audio, printer) are updated: https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... live_hangs.

De-install Kdenlive and/or delete the folder containing Kdenlive. Download the 19.04.1 portable version. Extract it to the desktop and follow the steps on the download page. And try again.

BTW: What hardware do you have?
JKScotland
Registered Member
Hi

I did use the Intel Driver Assistant and apparently my video and other drivers are all up to date.

I'm on a Lenovo Thinkpad T420s Intel Core i5-2520M. Built-in Intel graphics though I'm struggling to find adapter name/model.

Any other things that could identify the problem? Windows logs?

Thanks again
JKScotland
Registered Member
From Eventviewer

Just before Kdenlive error, there's a QT error:

Code: Select all
Faulting module name: Qt5Core.dll, version: 5.12.3.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000602
Faulting application path: C:\Users\...\Documents\kdenlive-portable\kdenlive-19.04.1-2_portable\bin\kdenlive.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\...\Documents\kdenlive-portable\kdenlive-19.04.1-2_portable\bin\Qt5Core.dll

Not sure if that's a source of the issue.

Also getting

Code: Select all
Faulting application path: C:\Users\...\Documents\kdenlive-portable\kdenlive-19.04.1-2_portable\bin\kdenlive.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\...\Documents\kdenlive-portable\kdenlive-19.04.1-2_portable\bin\libstdc++-6.dll
Merlimau
Registered Member
Do you have a virus scanner installed which interferes with Kdenlive? If yes, please try to disable it, and then try again.
JKScotland
Registered Member
Disable Windows real time protection, but still get the same issues. :(

Merlimau
Registered Member
What is coming to my mind: Do you have more than 1 user on your Win10 installation? Try to run Kdenlive as administrator. If that is working you have to install Kdenlive as administrator.
JKScotland
Registered Member
Hi, no it looks like exactly the same problem when running as administrator.
JKScotland
Registered Member
It does feel like something's missing -- when I Save As, the filetypes drop down is empty. Could this be a clue as to what's going on?

That circled bit is clicked - i.e. the drop down is open, but empty. I think it would normally say .kdenlive or something similar:
JKScotland
Registered Member
I followed the instruction to switch your standard printer to “Microsoft XPS Document Writer” and try again to start Kdenlive for one of the issues. Still no joy.

I've started learning about procmon to see if I can find out any more about the fault. That's a skill in itself -- tons of info to pick through.

If I previously disabled a couple of Windows services (e.g. print spooler) to help reduce performance issues, there might be a problem caused by that... I wasn't too heavy handed though, there are only a handful of services listed as disabled.

Any further advice?

Ta
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
For crashes, is is always very helpful to get a backtrace, unfortunately our crash handler on windows is currently broken :(
Do you know how to run gdb? We should write a doc for this process until we get crash handler working...
JKScotland
Registered Member
I've never run it before, but I'll give it a bash. If I need to work with kdenlive source code / compilers to make it work -- that may be a bit beyond my skill level.

But if you have a few steps I could follow, I'm happy to give it a shot.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Disabling Windows services is tricky. Please list the services which you have disabled. Maybe that’s the problem.

If you like to help to debug you need to compile Kdenlive. For that you need 35GB free of disk space. I will update the steps you have to do for debugging with Craft: https://community.kde.org/Kdenlive/Deve ... ndowsBuild