This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive crashes up to 20 times per session.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
seanwrx
Registered Member
Hello, I dip in and out of Linux as I need everything to be easy, smooth and idiotproof as per Mac and I quickly get stuck when it isn’t.

I bought a PC specifically to do video editing on. It is a “Dell Precision T1700 Intel Quad Core I7-4790 3.60GHz 500GB 32GB Quadro K2200 PCV”. I upgraded the regular hard drive to an SSD and I’ve installed Linux Mint 19 (Cinnamon) because there's no way I was gonna bloat it out with Windows and people seem to swear by Mint as a stable and enabling OS that is newbie friendly (ish). I've used it on previous computers and it was a dream.

I watched a few Youtube videos on best free editing software for Linux and a few people swear by Kdenlive. I downloaded it, played about with it for 15 mins and it made sense to me. I’ve now edited a couple of videos in it and I think it’s incredible. I particularly adore how the colour grading function works, and how powerful it is.

HOWEVER….Kdenlive must crash on me 20 times per editing session. I have to re-open it, ‘recover’ my project, work on it for another minute, then it’ll crash again. It is driving me crazy. It seems to crash anytime I ask Kdenlive to do anything other than a very simple low RAM task.

Can anyone suggest reasons why this is? Am I being a newbie and overlooking something obvious? It is Kdenlive version 17.12.3.

Any help/pointers/advice greatly received.

Thanks
Sean
bartoloni
OS
you have to use a recent (2020) appimage of Kdenlive.
https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 4.appimage
seanwrx
Registered Member
Thank you Bartoloni. I hope it's that simple a fix! I'll upgrade tonight and report back.
seanwrx
Registered Member
Me again. Sorry, I am stuck. I've downloaded the appimage that you linked me to. I cannot get it to work. I've followed 3 different Youtube guides but nothing actually triggers the program to install or load.

I'm now doing this for the third time.

sean@T1700:~$ cd Desktop
sean@T1700:~/Desktop$ chmod u+x kdenlive-19.12.2c-x86_64.appimage
sean@T1700:~/Desktop$

What happens next? The icon doesn't change for the software when I right-click it. I've also chosen 'make executable' in the properties section.
seanwrx
Registered Member
Also...

sean@T1700:~/Desktop$ ./kdenlive-19.12.2c-x86_64.appimage
bash: ./kdenlive-19.12.2c-x86_64.appimage: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
sean@T1700:~/Desktop$
bartoloni
OS
no idea... try an older appimage (2019) https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 4.appimage
usually on fedora/ubuntu it's just necessary to set the executable flag (and read/write premissions) and double click on appimage icon.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Delete "kdenlive-appimagerc", see here: https://community.kde.org/Kdenlive/Configuration. The icon doesn't change ones you have made the AppImage executable.