This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

User interface is unusable

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
solomondouglas
Registered Member

User interface is unusable

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 am
I've just installed 19.12.3, and it has been working well; I've gotten some good work done, and no crashes. Yay!

However, a behaviour has arisen in which some elements of the UI are not visible at all, while others are extremely large. Is there a known workaround or fix for this problem?

I have screenshots of the problem but I can't figure out how to attach them to my post. (Sorry, new forum user here!) Once I figure out how to do that I'll attach them in a reply to this thread.

Thanks in advance,
Solomon
solomondouglas
Registered Member

Re: User interface is unusable

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:17 am
Here are two screenshots to show what I'm talking about.

This is what my project should look like: https://imgur.com/7Sa6sis

This is what it actually looks like when I restart kdenlive: https://imgur.com/aXgiAEp

Halp!
bartoloni
OS

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:26 am
the size of these elements is a work in progress (for windows) and actually the icon size is very big 9last week was too small) .
you have to delete all your Kdenlive configuration files and folders from appdata/local appdata/roaming
and install the ufficial package for windows: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 9.12.3.exe
solomondouglas
Registered Member

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:41 am
Thanks for that. The version I had previously installed was http://mirror.its.dal.ca/kde-applicatio ... 9.12.3.exe. Wouldn't that be the same as what you suggested?

When you say "ufficial", do you mean "unofficial"? Or "official"?
bartoloni
OS

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:07 am
Official sorry :) ... you are experiencing big icons on this version? if yes this can be a windows metric issue (changed default size of windows items to >100% )
because on 3 different systems is have default icons ( like 19.04 release )

BTW if this can be related to your harwdare please try to switch the OPENGL backend from OPENGLES .. and also disable the FORCE BREEZE ICON THEME (settings menu)

if this doesn't help i have no idea on what is happening to you because the only changes on this kdenlive component is on MASTER development tree... and can be used only using a nightly build... https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdenlive/-/issues/552
solomondouglas
Registered Member

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:00 am
I'm running WIndows 10 on a machine with a 3840x2160 display resolution.

Your workaround of deleting the kdenlive configuration files works for me. I have a custom profile that I don't want to lose when I do that, so I've come up with the following sequence of commands (in bash under WSL, which is my preferred commandline environment) to fix the problem whenever it comes up:

Code: Select all
$ mv /mnt/c/Users/Solomon/AppData/Roaming/kdenlive/profiles/customprofile0 /tmp
$ rm -r /mnt/c/Users/Solomon/AppData/Local/kdenlive /mnt/c/Users/Solomon/AppData/Local/kdenliverc /mnt/c/Users/Solomon/AppData/Roaming/kdenlive
$ mkdir -p /mnt/c/Users/Solomon/AppData/Roaming/kdenlive/profiles/
$ mv /tmp/customprofile0 /mnt/c/Users/Solomon/AppData/Roaming/kdenlive/profiles/

I'm not sure it will be safe to do that while the application is running, which might make it hard for me to have multiple kdenlive instances running at once, but I can live with it for now until the bug gets fixed.

Thanks!
bartoloni
OS

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:17 am
solomondouglas wrote:I'm running WIndows 10 on a machine with a 3840x2160 display resolution.

can you provide a screenshot at this resolution (full screen with some tracks and compositions and effects) just to be sure that the Kdenlive GUI can be usable at more than 1080 resolution?

if you can , please when making screenshot GRAB AN EDGE OF A CLIP WITH MOUSE. (like resizing) just to see if the resize bar can be seen on this kind of monitors.
foxsen
Registered Member

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 am
I'm having a similar problem with Windows 10, 4K monitor, and an Intel card, but deleting those files didn't work for me.
If I turn off the clip monitor and restart it, the UI size goes back to normal, but I can't load any clips. The thumbnail image on the clips is blank and grey.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? It worked fine a few days ago.
Merlimau
Registered Member
foxsen
Registered Member

Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:37 pm
I tried that but it's already set to OpenGLES. I also tried unchecking it and restarting (which puts a check next to it) and switching to various other ones, but no luck.

The only thing I've had luck with is turning off the Clip Monitor, but either way I still can't get clips to load.
Merlimau
Registered Member

Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:31 pm
Please try the following: hit windows-key -> type "editor" -> double click the editor to start -> drag/drop "kdenliverc" into the editor -> search for [misc] -> delete "[misc]" and the following line (like: [misc] opengl_backend=15). Save kdenliverc. Try again.
foxsen
Registered Member

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:42 pm
Merlimau wrote:Please try the following: hit windows-key -> type "editor" -> double click the editor to start -> drag/drop "kdenliverc" into the editor -> search for [misc] -> delete "[misc]" and the following line (like: [misc] opengl_backend=15). Save kdenliverc. Try again.

That worked. Thanks. :) To clarify the instructions, open "kdenliverc" in Notepad. Under [misc] I found "profile_fps_filter=Any" and deleted that, replacing it with "opengl_backend=15". I had to go to Settings > OpenGLBackend and set it to OpenGLES, then restarted and it worked.
Merlimau
Registered Member

Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:13 am
If you set to "Software OpenGL", does it still work?
foxsen
Registered Member

Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:32 pm
Merlimau wrote:If you set to "Software OpenGL", does it still work?

No. It goes back to being messed up, but putting it back to OpenGLES fixes it.
Merlimau
Registered Member

Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:32 pm
So only OpenGLES works for your intel graphic card?