This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Regular Windows Installation Flagged

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jakewolf
Registered Member
When I attempt to install Kdenlive from the third link (regular Windows installation, not standalone), then:

-Chrome reports that the file "can't be downloaded securely", while:
-Edge reports that it "was blocked because it could harm your device".

I know this software is open source (and therefore safer); but I have a whole library of free and open source programs, and I have never encountered these messages before from anywhere else, nor from across multiple browsers.

I searched these forums for this issue, but did not find anything. Why are both Chrome and Edge flagging this program? I'd sure like to try it out, but it seems something is wrong. Does everyone who uses this software just ignore the warnings, or do they not get the warnings?

If I can download this securely, I'll certainly try it out, but until then, no. Please let me know if there's anything I am missing.

-JW
bartoloni
OS
this is not happening on my Windows 10.
jakewolf
Registered Member
That's good to know, but it doesn't help me.
Any insights into why I am getting these messages from my browsers, and how to rectify it?
-JW
bartoloni
OS
well this happens also for Adobe user downloading "photoshop" and web is full of similar issues with legit softwares: https://community.adobe.com/t5/download ... 358?page=1

if you want to solve the issue without removing the check for viruses of Windows defender (this came from edge/iexplorer virus check that is the same used by chrome) i suggest to reinstall WIndows 10 .. btw this is not the correct forum to help solving issues with microsoft defender / antivirus.

P.S. today i will install a fresh new copy of WIndows 10 and try to download kdenlive.. just to be sure that this is not happening after latest updates of Windows10.

P.P.S. you can also try to replace Windows defender with a 3d party software (like Avast/AVG)...

or maybe disable it just on edge...

Open Microsoft Edge
Click on settings
turn off 'Help protect my PC malicious sites and downloads with smart screen filter'

or also on chrome
In the Safe Browsing section, click "No protection (not recommended)" to turn the feature off.

if the error still persist... this mean that your computer certificates are obsolete (no HTTPS allowed)... or some software is redirecting the download... a proxy? a VPN? and internet security tool?
bartoloni
OS
Just opened about the issue ... seems that there is something wrong on download page (using chrome)

https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/802

can you try if download is working on this page? https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Kden ... y_mingw64/
Merlimau
Registered Member
@jakewolf Thank you for reporting. The download should work now with Chrome.