This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't install Kdenlive on KDE Neon

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
taha_mcp
Registered Member
OS

Can't install Kdenlive on KDE Neon

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:29 pm
Hello,
I can't install Kdenlive from the official PPA repo on KDE Neon. I get the following error:
Code: Select all
Error while installing package: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/actions/16/add-subtitle.svg', which is also in package breeze-icon-theme 4

Detailed error:
Preparing to unpack .../kdenlive-data_4%3a21.04.2-1~ubuntu20.04.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking kdenlive-data (4:21.04.2-1~ubuntu20.04.1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kdenlive-data_4%3a21.04.2-1~ubuntu20.04.1_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/actions/16/add-subtitle.svg', which is also in package breeze-icon-theme 4:5.83.0-0xneon+20.04+focal+release+build19
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kdenlive-data_4%3a21.04.2-1~ubuntu20.04.1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried this on a fresh install as well. Same issue.
Steps to reproduce:
 sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable
 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt isntall kdenlive

Does anyone have an idea how to resolve this?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Why use the PPA, the official Neon Kdenlive is the latest version already.

Now, if you really want to use the PPA version for some reason, you would have to force the offending package to overwrite the icon file it is complaining about - the real issue is that the PPA and Neon's packaging have some files in different packages, here it is at least some icon files (there could be more). One can use the dpkg command with the --force-overwrite option to force /var/cache/apt/archives/kdenlive-data_4%3a21.04.2-1~ubuntu20.04.1_all.deb to replace (overwrite) the existing file in the error message.

If you feel this is OK and safe, of course. You probably will see similar errors whenever Kdenlive or Plasma has upgrades.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
taha_mcp
Registered Member
OS
claydoh wrote:Why use the PPA, the official Neon Kdenlive is the latest version already.

I'm puzzled... there is no Kdenlive preinstalled on Neon. Or am I missing something?
taha_mcp
Registered Member
OS
I removed the PPA repo and just went for
sudo apt install kdenlive
and it worked fine. I was not aware of it. Thank you :))