This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

21.08 PPA on Ubuntu 20.04 - no motion tracker

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stefanodroghetti
Registered Member
Dear friends, I can find no more motion tracking on my Kdenlive 21.08 on Ubuntu 20.04. It's installed from Kdenlive PPA. I have to use PPA version because appimage, flatpak and snap versions can't see hardware acceleration.

When I start Kdenlive from command line, it says:

Code: Select all
==== PARSING ABORTED FOR:  "/usr/share/kdenlive/effects/speed.xml"
Unknown asset "opencv.tracker"
==== PARSING ABORTED FOR:  "/usr/share/kdenlive/effects/tracker.xml"
Unknown asset "opencv.tracker"
==== PARSING ABORTED FOR:  "/usr/share/kdenlive/effects/tracker.xml"
Unknown asset "region"

Tried to compile the newest opencv, tried to install libopencv-contrib and all the other extra opencv modules, but it keeps saying the same.
ukoehler
Registered Member
OS
Hi, I have the same problem on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. I can add a couple of observations:

There are many other effects that are not loaded. OPenCV is not a dependency and is not installed.

I tried the appimage with even worse results: On startup I get a warning that no frei0r effercts are installed.

Cheers

Uwe
ukoehler
Registered Member
OS
I did download the appimage again and this time I do not get the warning about the missing frei0r effects. ???

Anyway, when using the "Show all video effects" the Motion tracker effect is listed. I haven't tried it yet, but at least it is there. This might help you, as well.

There is a issue with OpenCV effects that does prevent some distributions from including OpenCV effects: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1068792

Cheers

Uwe
stefanodroghetti
Registered Member
In the appimage, the "frei0r" missing bug is still present. It shows up only at the first run, so to reproduce it you just have to click on Settings → Configuration wizard. Anyway I reported the bug and they told me it's actually a bug, they're fixing it. Actually I don't use very much the appimage because there's no hardware acceleration.

The appimage does have the motion tracker effect. The motion tracker effect is missing in the PPA version.

Anyway there's no problem, I just use the flatpak version: motion tracker isn't missing, and it's hardware accelerated :-)

Last edited by stefanodroghetti on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukoehler
Registered Member
OS
stefanodroghetti wrote:In the appimage, the "frei0r" missing bug is still present. It shows up only at the first run, so to reproduce it you just have to click on Settings → Configuration wizard. Anyway I reported the bug and they told me it's actually a bug, they're fixing it. Actually I don't use very much the appimage because there's no hardware acceleration.

The appimage does have the motion tracker effect. The motion tracker effect is missing in the PPA version.

Anyway there's no problem, I just use the flatpak version, that's hardware accelerated, motion tracker isn't missing, and it's hardware accelerated :-)

Dear stefanodroghetti,

many thanks for pointing out the "frei0r" missing bug. However, I did use the Motion Tracker effect in the appimage yesterday without any problems. I just have to make sure now, that all the other effects that I am using are present there. I hope the "frei0r" missing bug gets fixed quickly.

Cheers

Uwe