This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kdenlive installation problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
satimis
Registered Member
OS

kdenlive installation problem

Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:47 pm
Hi all,

Ubuntu 20.04
kdenlive Version 21.08.3

I ran following command lines on Terminal installing kdenlive;

Code: Select all
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install kdenlive

Installation went through without problem.

After starting kdenlive I found the options in the center window disappeared
Code: Select all
alpha manipulation
analysis and data
colour
colour correction

Please advise how to get them back. Thanks

Regards
berndmj
Registered Member
OS

Re: kdenlive installation problem

Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:49 pm
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean with that.

It looks like you are referring to the list of effects in Effects window. Make sure it is enabled in the menu View (checkmark next to it in the list). Once it is enabled and shows you can move the window to a new position. Make sure to save your new layout. ;-)

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
satimis
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:17 pm
berndmj wrote:Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean with that.
- snip -

On Terminal running;
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kdenlive/kdenlive-stable
$ sudo apt update

It installs kdenlive version 21.08.3
It is the latest verion.

If installing kdenlive on Ubuntu 20.04 repo, on Terminal just running;
$ sudo apt update

It installs kdenlive version 19.12.3

The windows of 2 versions look completely different.

I found tutorials of version 19.12.3 on YouTube. How can I follow their steps to run on the window of version 21.08.3 ?

Sorry I couldn't upload screenshots here. Referring to screenshot it would be easier to explain.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:56 pm
kdenlive 19 and 21 are *very* different versions. I would not rely on the distro's packages for kdenlive because as you experienced they may be outdated. Best bet is usually the appimage.

Unfortunately, the documentation, tutorials and other how-tos are terribly lagging behind the kdenlive development. Volunteers are needed to bring the wiki and the official documentation up to date.

So I suggest you play around with kdenlive, try to figure things out yourself and if you get stuck ask for help here and/or the other channels like in Telegram, Reddit or Discord. Use the documentation, the wiki and tutorials as general guides for how to do things in and with kdenlive. Over time, features have been improved, others were deprecated or have been combined, and new ones have been introduced (e.g. same track transitions, typewriter effect, subtitles). The layout has changed including the possibility to save different layouts (great feature, IMHO!).

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
satimis
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:29 am
berndmj wrote:kdenlive 19 and 21 are *very* different versions. I would not rely on the distro's packages for kdenlive because as you experienced they may be outdated. Best bet is usually the appimage.

- snip -

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I totally agree with you that kdenlive keeps on changing on new version. Instead of upgrading the old version by adding more features, the new version of kdenlive looks completely different to the old version. Then their users have to start learning the new version from the beginning. I'll test appimage later.

Fortunately I'm running Oracle VirtualBox here. I keep several versions of Kdenlive on different VMs.

I'm running both Windows and Linux here therefore I have several video editing software running on VMs such as;
AviSynth
AviSynthPlus
VapourSynth
Kdenlive
Blender
etc.

For these 2 months I have been working hard to restore the old video taken by Sony V8 Video Camera in about 1990. Certain parts of the video is NOT sharp and blurry. Which video editing software I have to use? I'm still testing.

Regards
bartoloni
OS

Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:03 am
now are 2 months that you are asking for a deblurrying software, the first post is this: viewtopic.php?f=265&t=172871&p=449472&hilit=blurry#p449472

please understand that a computer is not a miracolous thing able to do magics... if the video is blurred it stay blurred... there are photographer that are working hard on a single FRAME (1 photo) to fix a blurred portrait and this is made with hands, rebuilding blur areas with high-end effects (usually on photoshop) on small area portions ( also premiere and davinciresolve doensn't provide the miracolous tool )
i can only suggest you to keep the videos on a safe place waiting some advanced IA deblurring-software (probably using 3d models that will replace blurred scenes...) from google or microsoft or some other companies working on IA.. (on next 20-50 years?)

Last edited by bartoloni on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:36 pm
satimis wrote:For these 2 months I have been working hard to restore the old video taken by Sony V8 Video Camera in about 1990. Certain parts of the video is NOT sharp and blurry. Which video editing software I have to use? I'm still testing.

I agree with @bartoloni: there is no SW available that is able to fix a blurry source video. Period. I hope you are not led to believe this is possible by watching action/spy movies where they do this all the time ;-)

I suggest you stop wasting your time trying different video editing applications to achieve this. I use kdenlive and Davinci Resolve depending on what I want/need to do.

BTW, video editing doesn't really lend itself to be run in virtual machines unless you have a high-end computer at your disposal. If you want to run Windows and Linux try dual boot. I have that set up successfully (Windows 10 and three different Linux distros for different purposes) with additional HDDs where I keep all my source images and videos for editing regardless of which application I use in what OS. Just a thought.