This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive won't start due to missing DLL file

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
brettv
Registered Member
Hello,
I am trying to get Kdenlive to run on a HP-n041xx laptop running Windows 8.
I have installed the most recent graphics driver, but after downloading and attempting to start the most recent version of Kdenlive, it throws an error and won't start.
The dialogue box says Kdenlive can't load due to missing api-ms-win-core-heap-l2-1-0.dll file.
Furthermore, I have to use Windows Task Manager to close the kdenlive.exe program because the dialogue box reappears after clicking OK.
I have searched on Google for this file name but I can't find any download links to the file.
However the file api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is located in my Windows\System32 directory. I am not sure if this file is related.
Any help or guidance on how to fix this problem and start Kdenlive on my laptop is much appreciated.
Thanks.
brettv
Registered Member
I managed to get Kdenlive standalone version 22.04.1 running by downloading the DLL file and placing it in the 'bin' folder of the standalone version.

I had to downlod the file api-ms-win-core-heap-l2-1-0.dll from dll-files.com

I also had to download the file d3dcompiler_47.dll from dll-files and replace the file in the bin folder that came shipped with the standalone version.

Everything seems to load properly now.
bartoloni
OS
you have to install the universal visual C runtime (that make every windows version ... 7 - 8 - 8.1 able to run Windows 10/11 visual-c compiled softwares without issues )
usually i suggest to switch to Windows 8.1 and after that install some updates (i don't have the list right now.. but there are 7 necessary updates)
and after that the universal visual c runtime: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 7930f3560c

P.S. some infos about necessary updates are here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... dda52b3ba1