This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Minimun system requirements

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zeick
Registered Member

Minimun system requirements

Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:50 am
Hello friends:

I have recently started to edit videos, my first projects have been done with SHOTCUT, but there are some things that I don't like and I don't find it very comfortable to work with.

I have recently discovered the existence of Kdenlive, it seems like a very attractive software. Unfortunately, my computer is not very powerful and I am looking at what the minimum requirements would be to work on Windows 10.

I have searched the main page for information on this, but have not found it. Can someone help me with this?

Thank you very much to all.
bartoloni
OS

Re: Minimun system requirements

Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:18 am
Hi ! you can use Windows 7 - 8 - 8.1 (with installed the universal visual C runtime) or Windows 10 and Windows 11
it's necessary a CPU (anything with SSE3 instructions .. aka 2004 year) an SSD (yeah) and some RAM (4 GB?)
for the GPU there are a lot of issues related to the integrated OLD Intels (HD 4000/5000 etc etc) https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/277 and right now it's necessary to have updated drivers for modern Intel's cards.

A good configuration for HD and Q-HD can be an 8 core (or threads) CPU ( intel or AMD )... 16 Gbytes RAM DDR4 .. and an dedicated PCi-Express Video Card (Nvidia or AMD) just to prevent GUI corruptions or some strange issues with "intel GPus" right now it's not possible to use the GPU for the "rendering" .. this mean that a Nvidia GT210 or an RTX3080 are "irrelevant" on the rendering times (talking about Windows).. and an NVME/M2 drive it's supposed to be present. (you can also use an 2.5" SSD... if you are working on small-size source clips)

Last edited by bartoloni on Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiefbromden
Registered Member
OS

Re: Minimun system requirements  Topic is solved

Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:22 am
From the Kdenive Manual:

Minimum system requirements

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 7 or newer
CPU:
    Platform: x86 Intel or AMD
    For SD-Video: at least one 2 GHz core
    For HD-Video: 4 cores
    For 4K-Video: 8 cores

GPU:
OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible. On Windows, you can also use a card with good, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers.

RAM:
    For SD-Video: At least 4 GB
    For HD-Video: 8 GB
    For 4K-Video: 16 GB
zeick
Registered Member

Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:14 pm
bartoloni wrote:Hi ! you can use Windows 7 - 8 - 8.1 (with installed the universal visual C runtime) or Windows 10 and Windows 11
it's necessary a CPU (anything with SSE3 instructions .. aka 2004 year) an SSD (yeah) and some RAM (4 GB?)
for the GPU there are a lot of issues related to the integrated OLD Intels (HD 4000/5000 etc etc) https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/277 and right now it's necessary to have updated drivers for modern Intel's cards.

A good configuration for HD and Q-HD can be an 8 core (or threads) CPU ( intel or AMD )... 16 Gbytes RAM DDR4 .. and an dedicated PCi-Express Video Card (Nvidia or AMD) just to prevent GUI corruptions or some strange issues with "intel GPus" right now it's not possible to use the GPU for the "rendering" .. this mean that a Nvidia GT210 or an RTX3080 are "irrelevant" on the rendering times (talking about Windows).. and an NVME/M2 drive it's supposed to be present. (you can also use an 2.5" SSD... if you are working on small-size source clips)
chiefbromden wrote:From the Kdenive Manual:

Minimum system requirements

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 7 or newer
CPU:
    Platform: x86 Intel or AMD
    For SD-Video: at least one 2 GHz core
    For HD-Video: 4 cores
    For 4K-Video: 8 cores

GPU:
OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible. On Windows, you can also use a card with good, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers.

RAM:
    For SD-Video: At least 4 GB
    For HD-Video: 8 GB
    For 4K-Video: 16 GB

Thank you very much to both.

I think that my pc will be able to support the software, at the moment I don't need to edit 4K video.

I was going through the documentation, but I couldn't find the manual, this is going to help me a lot.
bartoloni
OS

Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:47 am
Just an update, right now on Windows having a decent Nvidia card it's possible to "trascode" clips with "variable frame rate" using it... and this can speed up work...
link to a discussion: viewtopic.php?f=272&t=175195
also during rendering is possible to use new NVENC H264 ABR presets... that are working but with my GTX1050Ti rendering times are equals compared to the only Ryzen 1800x
zeick
Registered Member

Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:41 am
Thank you very much for your help.

I've upgraded my processor and editing seems to be a bit smoother, also now I save projects to my SSD drive and I've also noticed an improvement. However, I am going to review the link that you have left me to see what I can improve.