This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Pixel size of images in Dolphin: please name the responsible

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rulatir
Registered Member
The functionality of showing pixel size of images in the info pane in Dolphin has been thoroughly broken for years with stubborn deliberateness.

I am done reporting bugs about this, debugging, sending patches, and arguing with a number of developers each telling me it is upstream, downstream, sidestream or Scheißstream.

Instead I just want the name of the party responsible for this feature.

Anyone?

If the feature is unmaintained, ditch it and let contributors do it instead.

My opinion is that the current design of this feature is stupid and wrong. It delegates the simple task of extracting two tiny pieces of information to the Strigi/Nepomuk monstrosity that is so complex it works about 70% of the time, and for the last couple of years it has almost always been doing at least one of the following:

• showed no width/height info whatsoever
  • showed WRONG width/height info (from EXIF rather than from .jpg header)
  • showed OUTDATED width/height info (when a file was resized with command line tools)
  • made showing width/height info dependent on whether the containing directory was configured to be indexed by Strigi/Nepomuk
  • had me wait several minutes before it showed width/height info for some images (happening now in 4.12)

To add insult to injury, these two pieces of information are accessed anyway for the purpose of creating thumbnails. It is right there - other components of the same program access it and indirectly show it to users by virtue of actually being able to render the thumbnails.

I mean, really, it is this stupid.

Who did it to us?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please provide links to the bugs, etc where you have pointed out how this feature is broken?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]