This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audio recording? cannot select capture device -ubuntu 19.04

Tags: audio, capture, kdenlive, ubuntu audio, capture, kdenlive, ubuntu audio, capture, kdenlive, ubuntu
(comma "," separated)
jeepees
Registered Member
As I understood from the new kdenlive version 19.12, one can capture audio from within kdenlive.
well...I cannot select any audio capture device in kdenlive 19.12 on ubuntu 19.04.
I do have the audio input device on linux settings to either the internal microphone or an external H1 zoom connected, but kdenlive does not allow me to select an input capture device for audio. the list is blank.

on the kdenlive audio capture config screen it states : make sure you have audio plugins installed on your system.

I do have ffmpeg installed..
in kdenlive environment configuration I have /usr/bin/audacity as Audio editing.. but I guess that is not related..

am I missing something? how can I enable audio capture via kdenlive ?
thanks
bartoloni
OS
on menu --> configure Kdenlive --> CAPTURE --> AUDIO (tab) on devices .. you don't have any device displayed?

BTW.. ffmpeg is not the audio plugin.. i'm a Windows user .. but if i remember well... on old versions of Linux (i developed a game for Linux 10 years ago') these plugins can be added from terminal...

Code: Select all
$ sudo apt-get install alsa-oss libasound2 libasound2-plugins padevchooser gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio ubuntu-restricted-extras

(No idea if this is working on latest distros)
jeepees
Registered Member
Hi,
thanks for answering. No indeed, I cannot select anything in configure Kdenlive --> CAPTURE --> AUDIO (tab) on devices
There is nothing in the dropdown menu.
The only things I can change are the channels (mono or stereo) and the sample rate.

I checked the packages installed; most of them are installed; I had to install the alsa-oss
the padevchooser and ubuntu-restriced-extras are not available.

sudo dpkg --list | grep -e alsa -e pulse -e libasound -e gstreamer| cut -d " " -f3
alsa-base
alsa-oss
alsa-utils
gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0:amd64
gstreamer1.0-alsa:amd64
gstreamer1.0-clutter-3.0:amd64
gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3:amd64
gstreamer1.0-gl:amd64
gstreamer1.0-gtk3:amd64
gstreamer1.0-libav:amd64
gstreamer1.0-packagekit
gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad:amd64
gstreamer1.0-plugins-base:amd64
gstreamer1.0-plugins-base-apps
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:amd64
gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly:amd64
gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64
gstreamer1.0-tools
gstreamer1.0-vaapi:amd64
gstreamer1.0-x:amd64
libasound2:amd64
libasound2-data
libasound2-plugins:amd64
libcanberra-pulse:amd64
libgstreamer-gl1.0-0:amd64
libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0:amd64
libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0:amd64
libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0:amd64
libgstreamer1.0-0:amd64
libpulse-mainloop-glib0:amd64
libpulse0:amd64
libpulsedsp:amd64
libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer
libsox-fmt-alsa:amd64
pulseaudio
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
pulseaudio-utils

bartoloni
OS
no idea.. sorry for that... :(
uliska
Registered Member
I would like to join this thread because I probably have the same problem, which is really annoying because it makes the program nearly unusable for my use case. This is a pity because I think Kdenlive could be just the tool I could suggest as an alternative to the commercial tools currently in use at my university.

I am running Debian bullseye (= Testing) with the GNOME desktop. I have successfully used audio input/output with various programs, using the builtin mic/speaker, those of a USB webcam or an external USB audio interface. Even a Bluetooth headset works without issues in all of my programs. Except Kdenlive.

I see the following in Kdenlive's settings dialog (sorry, German only):

Recording=>Audio
* An empty dropdown for "device"
* Below the message "Überprüfen Sie, ob die Audio-Module auf Ihrem System installiert sind"
This is probably the same message as in the original post.
* I can change the other controls (volume, channels, sample rate) but surely without any effect ...

Recording=>Screen Recording
* This seems to be fully functional
* I can select a profile X264 with audio (see below)

Playback
* A Dropdown "Audio backend" with two items: SDL and RtAudio
* Two greyed-out (!) dropdowns
- Audio driver ("automatic")
- Audio device ("default")
* An empty dropdown "Output device"

The "about" box states:
MLT version 6.20.0
FFmpeg
KDE Frameworks 5.62.0
Qt 5.12.5
xcb windowing system

In the GNOME audio settings there is even an entry for Kdenlive as an active audio application as soon as Kdenlive is started :-0

As a consequence it seems I don't have an option to do audio recording from the timeline (for voice-over of a prerecorded screencast). When I check "show Record Controls" (as per https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/CapturingAudio) there *is* no record control button.

However, surprisingly two things *do* work:
When loading a clip with audio its sound is played back through whatever I have selected as system sound.
When doing a screen recording audio *is* recorded through the device I have selecte in system settings.

It seems right now I can achieve the task by doing a screen recording (of Kdenlive playing back some clip) and afterwards deleting the video track. But I think this is a dirty hack because it is a) more complex than necessary and not a good argument to getting people to change tools and b) will always waste resources through recording the desktop video.

So it seems audio is actually working but Kdenlive doesn't know about it and therefore disables the corresponding functionality.
fuzzyp
Registered Member
Hmmm, that's also why I arrived here today. I have been doing lots of screencasting since I'm a teacher and I'm on distance learning duty. I used Screenflow on Macs for years and I was hoping to find something equivalent, ie one piece of software that captures the screenrecording AND let's you edit the audio and video.

I had given up on this after researching. I decided I could live with capturing the screen using Simple Screen Recorder and bringing that video into Kdenlive for editing.

While playing around today I discovered the capture feature. I did a screen capture with no sound and it worked well, but as soon as I did the capture with audio, I couldn't choose a mic either in settings, and it crashed when I launched capture, capture crashed but not Kdenlive.

I can go back to my original idea, as it's working, but it would be so NICE if we could capture audio and video in Kdenlive AND edit and render it all.

What workflow are others using for doing screencasts of some sort?
PanMat
Registered Member
I just upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 and the KDEnlive audio recording stoped working, it was working on 19.04. Actually I cannot see any device for audio capture and i have two microphones attached to the machine which are working with other applications.
fuzzyp
Registered Member
PanMat wrote:I just upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 and the KDEnlive audio recording stoped working, it was working on 19.04. Actually I cannot see any device for audio capture and i have two microphones attached to the machine which are working with other applications.

So you were able to get the capture with audio to work before 20.04? That's progress. I am using Mint Cinnamon so maybe it'll work for me too, if not, I might come back to stright up Ubuntu.
PanMat
Registered Member
fuzzyp wrote:
PanMat wrote:I just upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 and the KDEnlive audio recording stoped working, it was working on 19.04. Actually I cannot see any device for audio capture and i have two microphones attached to the machine which are working with other applications.

So you were able to get the capture with audio to work before 20.04? That's progress. I am using Mint Cinnamon so maybe it'll work for me too, if not, I might come back to stright up Ubuntu.

Yes, it worked for a while like a charm but Ubuntu 20.04 is releasing daily updates gearing towards the 20.04 LTS release on April 23. So if you can just wait till end April and start with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release.
PanMat
Registered Member
Good news the audio recording is working for me now. Here are the two things I did that made it work for me.

1) Uninstalled the KDEnlive version that was installed using apt-get ( sudo apt-get remove kdenlive && sudo apt autoremove)
2) Reinstalled KDEnlive using Ubuntu 20.04 Snap Store, just search for KDEnlive in the search box and selection "install"

When you run it the first time it takes some time to launch but give it time and it will work.

Hope this helps.
fuzzyp
Registered Member
PanMat wrote:Good news the audio recording is working for me now. Here are the two things I did that made it work for me.

1) Uninstalled the KDEnlive version that was installed using apt-get ( sudo apt-get remove kdenlive && sudo apt autoremove)
2) Reinstalled KDEnlive using Ubuntu 20.04 Snap Store, just search for KDEnlive in the search box and selection "install"

When you run it the first time it takes some time to launch but give it time and it will work.

Hope this helps.

I'm going to try this, thanks. I've tried installing it various ways. Sometimes I get an old version so the interface looks odd, and sometimes I get a newer one, but it doesn't quite work right. I'm going to stick with Mint Cinnamon until June-ish when I expect the 20.04 release to come to Mint and see what happens.
fuzzyp
Registered Member
PanMat wrote:Good news the audio recording is working for me now. Here are the two things I did that made it work for me.

Hope this helps.

I just checked on mine and I installed the version I'm using as a Flatpak. It works really well except for the capture feature. I wonder if I can install both and test them against each other. They seem to be different.
jeepees
Registered Member
fuzzyp wrote:

Hope this helps.

I just checked on mine and I installed the version I'm using as a Flatpak. It works really well except for the capture feature. I wonder if I can install both and test them against each other. They seem to be different.

So if it works with some of you guys, can I ask following ?
- what version of ubuntu are you running 20.04 LTS ?
- what version of kdenlive do you have the audio capture working with ?
- What do you have in "settings -> configure Kdenlive -> capture -> audio tab" in the "device" field ?
- what exactly do you mean with flatpak? and what do you mean with "except for the capture feature" ?? I can't follow really..

I'm still having 'zero' luck in getting audio capture working, still on Ubuntu 19.10, recently upgraded kdenlive to 20.04 after having to uninstall the previous version..
I don' t get anything in the 'device' field in the audio capture..

so thanks to clarify some of the above what's questions pls
kde-beau
Registered Member
To get the apt installed version working, you need to install the "libqt5multimedia5-plugins" package as well. After this, the no devices issue should be fixed, but you may need to mess with which device to select in kdenlive and your audio manager to get the recorder working.

This worked for me with kdenlive 20.04 on Ubuntu 20.04.
jeepees
Registered Member
kde-beau wrote:To get the apt installed version working, you need to install the "libqt5multimedia5-plugins" package as well. After this, the no devices issue should be fixed, but you may need to mess with which device to select in kdenlive and your audio manager to get the recorder working.

This worked for me with kdenlive 20.04 on Ubuntu 20.04.

you are the greatest !!! Yep indeed I can now choose from different audio devices (default, pulseaudio, alsa)
meanwhile I also have kdenlive 20.04 on Ubuntu 20.04.

I will give it a try later, but already thanks a million for this answer !