This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Reverb Audio Question?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dstechmedia
Registered Member
OS

Reverb Audio Question?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:50 am
So I can recall in the past having reverb or perhaps multiple reverb audio effects.
I read somewhere else that the SOXreverb was removed? Or that all effects were going to be renamed/purged/etc?

But I see that many of the other SOX effects plug-ins remain. Is there no plan to have reverb in Kdenlive?
It's a very basic audio effect, and I think it should be included if at all possible, and it only makes sense to have it there handy because it's too minor of a task to be moving out of Kdenlive and into another program to do.
I often see critiques of Kdenlive refer to it's audio processing capabilities, and it seems like Linux/FOSS excels at audio work.
Additionally reverb is present in many existing Linux/FOSS tool-sets like LADSPA, and I thought Frei0r as well?

And I'm in no way complaining, just trying to figure out the state of things. Kdenlive has improved so much since I started using it and I'm so thankful to the entire team.
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Re: Reverb Audio Question?

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:34 pm
Hello,
I also need a reverb or echo effect. Here is one that I can get along with:
ladspa.1779 = C*Plate - Versatile plate reverb
you have to install: caps - The LADSPA C*Audio Plugin Suite
dstechmedia
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:56 pm
mickae wrote:Hello,
I also need a reverb or echo effect. Here is one that I can get along with:
ladspa.1779 = C*Plate - Versatile plate reverb
you have to install: caps - The LADSPA C*Audio Plugin Suite

Hi thank you for this suggestion. This plug-in will work in Kdenlive?
I have a lot of LADSPA already installed on my system.
I did a search via APT and found this:
csladspa/bionic 1:6.10.0~dfsg-1 amd64
LADSPA plugin for Csound
And it's not installed so I'm assuming that is the one?
zolder
Registered Member

Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:22 pm
C* are nice.
TAP (Tom's Audio Processing) also.
Calf are nice to, if GUI version and not so de ladspa version (doesn't work under kdenlive).

At the end. Many are good. Just (always) need to understand how to use them.
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:16 pm
Hello dstechmedia,
I am not sure I understand you and the issue. I too was and am looking for suitable plug-ins for Kdenlive. If you have Arch, then it should also work for you.
I have only installed these:
Kdenlive
ladspa
PulseAudio Equalizer (+ swh-plugins)
caps - The LADSPA C* Audio Plugin Suite = for ladspa.1779
and swh-plugins
and I have this C*Plate - Versatile plate reverb - ladspa.1779

I would be very surprised if it does not work for you. Be sure to contact me if it does not work for you.

Last edited by mickae on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:31 pm
Hello zolder,
that sounds very interesting. You seem to know your way around. I'm looking for a good compressor to replace the old SC1 to SC4, which works but is old and not very good.
And I'm looking for a good equalizer. There I currently use the: C* EQ4p - 4-band parametric shelving equaliser - LADAPA plugin (ladspa.2608), it's ok, designed for guitar and I could use a better one. Do you know one?
That would be great.

do you know them well? Can you describe them a little bit, what they can do?
TAP (Tom's Audio Processing) and
Calf
dstechmedia
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:52 pm
So you may have led me to figure some things out.
I did a search for caps and it's already installed, but
caps is already the newest version (1:0.9.23-1kxstudio1).

The version I have installed is from the KX-Studio repos, and perhaps that is why I'm not seeing that reverb plug-in in Kdenlive.
I thought it could also be that I'm using the AppImage version, but they're usually fine with system integrations.
Either way I have way too many deps that rely on KX-Studio so I won't alter it in any way.
That's partly why I'm still using Ubuntu 18.04. I'm holding messy deps that I leave alone so nothing gets broken lol.

I also have TAPS, Calf, etc. I have lots of reverb plug-ins because I do a lot of music/audio work, but when I search reverb in Kdenlive's effects I don't see one.
I can remember on older versions having them present. Maybe even a few of them. I remember the soxReverb one.
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:54 pm
My system is Manjaro and I use Kdenlive in 21.12.1 version. But this ladspa.1779 = C*Plate - Versatile plate reverb worked before. I had to install, (according to my records though, after reinstalling Manjaro) caps - The LADSPA C*Audio Plugin Suite.

Please contact us again if it should not work with caps. I would then uninstall it temporarily to be sure that then Plare reverb no longer works.

Mein System ist Manjaro und ich nutze Kdenlive in der 21.12.1 Version. Aber dieses ladspa.1779 = C*Plate - Versatile plate reverb ging schon vorher. Ich musst, (laut meiner Aufzeichnungen aber, nach einer Neuinstallation) caps - The LADSPA C*Audio Plugin Suite installieren.

Bitte melde Dich noch einmal, wenn es mit caps nicht funktionieren sollte. Ich würde es dann vorübergehend deinstallieren, um sicher zu sein, dass dann Plare reverb nicht mehr geht.
zolder
Registered Member

Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:08 pm
dstechmedia wrote:So you may have led me to figure some things out.
I thought it could also be that I'm using the AppImage version, but they're usually fine with system integrations.

The plugin packs are installed from the repositories (w/ softwarecentre and synaptic). All appear in both my kdenlive repository as my other kdenlive-appimage.

Nice, you and music. Interested! Could you perhaps give me some references? (in PM if you like?)
edit: found you yt link in your profile. No songs?

mickae wrote:Hello zolder,
that sounds very interesting. You seem to know your way around. I'm looking for a good compressor to replace the old SC1 to SC4, which works but is old and not very good.
And I'm looking for a good equalizer. There I currently use the: C* EQ4p - 4-band parametric shelving equaliser - LADAPA plugin (ladspa.2608), it's ok, designed for guitar and I could use a better one. Do you know one?
That would be great.

do you know them well? Can you describe them a little bit, what they can do?
TAP (Tom's Audio Processing) and
Calf

;D Yeah i know my way around with audio. Video for me is mostly for videoclips and promo vids with that music, and/or family vids for fun (vacation and such).
But as i said, i do my audio mostly in my DAW, not in kdenlive. But sometimes in kdenlive.... :<

Thom has a website with explanation -> https://tomscii.sig7.se/tap-plugins/ladspa.html

On my studio computer i have all those mentioned and some more. Majority of the plugins who load in my DAW also load in kdenlive (and audacity). Never checked which not, as i have that many plugins that it is almost impossible to check 8) (and no interest, visuable in kdenlive is available, that simple).
Those available work great and with all features in kdenlive as they do in my DAW.
If you like i can provide some captives later when i was at that computer.

Here's a captive from our living computer. This has only the Calf & C* & TAP packs installed (should be enough. All among my personal fav's).
As you can see the calf pack within kdenlive works with bars, but it has a GNU version (in my DAW).
Look here for more information bout all Calf plugins (highly extended) -> https://calf-studio-gear.org/

If you still have questions don't be afraid to ask.

mickae
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:59 am
first quickly: Thank you very much. Yes, this is helpful information. I look over it and my head is spinning. But it is now possible for me to get to know piece by piece on TAP and Calv in more detail.

You seem to know a lot about audio processing. Audio enhancement of spoken language is also very important to me in my videos. Being able to enhance the audio externally is not very practical, as I often want to make a little change near the end. I would then have to re-export the audio every time, enhance it and then paste it back into Kdenlive - that's not what I want. It needs to be possible in a video editor.
I would be very interested to hear how you do it. And, if audio is important to you, why you work with Kdenlive.

And immediately the first hurdle. With the Calf Compressor LADSPA: The values to be set: All abstract numbers. It would be very helpful for me if they were given in the usual dB. Do you know how to convert them or even change them?

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
dstechmedia
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:37 am
@Zolder:
Which version of Kdenlive are you using?
I search ladspa in my effects and it's completely blank which is insane to me as I'm almost positive some of the audio plug-ins included are LADSPA.

Here is my version, and the majority of my audio-plugins: I tried to post the img inline, but it said it wasn't possible to determine the dimensions.
https://imgur.com/a/gnVrR0o

None of my Calf plug-ins are in Kdenlive either so I checked my package manager, and it said Calf-LADSPA not installed. So I did a sudo apt install and once again:
calf-ladspa is already the newest version (2:0.90.1-1kxstudio4).
calf-ladspa set to manually installed.

They are manually installed, but they are from the KX-Studio repos, and the version is actually newer than the ones in Ubuntu's repos.
calf-ladspa/bionic 1.1.3-7 i386
Linux Multimedia Studio - Calf LADSPA plugins

It's looking more and more like the reason I have audio-plugins missing from Kdenlive is due to my KX-Studio software.
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:34 pm
I thought Kdenlive and MLT do not support LV2.
Use calf-ladspa.
zolder
Registered Member

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:53 pm
dstechmedia wrote:@Zolder:
Which version of Kdenlive are you using?
I search ladspa in my effects and it's completely blank which is insane to me as I'm almost positive some of the audio plug-ins included are LADSPA.

I have in use:
- version 17.12.3 repositories
- and appimage 20-something or 22 something? (i should look, not now)

As you can see i have the calf plugins visuable. Installed by the software centre and synaptic (both ubuntu repository).

You could search in the settings if it's possible to point at the directory you now have your plugins saved to load them?
In some software that's possible. Don't know if that can be done in kdenlive.
zolder
Registered Member

Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:08 pm
mickae wrote:You seem to know a lot about audio processing. Audio enhancement of spoken language is also very important to me in my videos. Being able to enhance the audio externally is not very practical, as I often want to make a little change near the end. I would then have to re-export the audio every time, enhance it and then paste it back into Kdenlive - that's not what I want. It needs to be possible in a video editor.
I would be very interested to hear how you do it. And, if audio is important to you, why you work with Kdenlive.

I would decide which has priority.
If video is of higher priority than audio i should work in kdenlive.
If audio is of higher priority than video i should work in ardour.

Kdenlive is easier to work with video. But ardour is better with the audio. So were's the priority?
You can create a video in Kdenlive. If ready then render it. To load that video into ardour to create the audio track under it.
In ardour you can work on the micro-second to put the audio right under the vid. The audio is of better quality. Much easier to edit, w/ effects or simply cuting/pasting. Etcetera. "Spoken language" you said? You could even record that spoken audio while the video is spinning in ardour (= better timing).
In this case you use the best software for the best (part of the) job. This would be my choise.
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:28 am
Hello @zolder,
Thanks for the tip - but for my way of working that would not be practical, (it would also overwhelm me) to have to constantly change the software for a project.
I wanted to ask you very carefully, if you, as a Linux user, do not also look at a video editor that can edit audio well. I am thinking of S....