This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

can't record audio linux mint+alc294 sound chip

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
verntheold
Registered Member
Well, I can't record audio. Could be a driver issue, but I thought I'd ask here if it's not. xD

So I have a Asus Strix Scar with a ALC294 audio chip, Linux Mint 21. I think I have all the drivers installed and I installed pulse and jack and a bunch of plugins and whatever looked good. had to add "options snd-hda-intel model=alc294-lenovo-mic" to /etc/modeprobe.d/alsa-base.conf which got the sound to work, and I also did a pin reroute via hdajackretask where I set 0x1a to mic in an attempt to get the mic to work and it sorta does...

audio features:
internal speakers(works!) ;D
internal mic(works in mixer, but not in kden most of the time, but worked a couple of times, but then stopped working :'( )
combo headphone/mic jack(I don't have headphones so I don't know if they work. mic works in the mixer, but doesn't get recorded in kden ever :'( ) I really want to use this combo jack for mic input, but I can suffer through internal mic, if I must.

the puzzling thing is that when I use the mic, the the eq indicates audio, but kdenlive doesn't usually record it. Very rarely it will, but only once. The next time I hit the record button, it won't.

So please good citizens of the audio forum, help me get my mic recording!
Merlimau
Registered Member
If not already done, try with the AppImage.
verntheold
Registered Member
SOLVED!

Turns out I have a "combo jack" so I need to use a TRRS to mic and phones Y-adapter cable. now it works!

so thats a 3.5mm trrs male to 3.5mm "mic" female and "3.5mm "phones" female adapter cable.

in other words, call your laptop manufacturer and insist they separate the jacks and fire the fools responsible for combining the mic and phones input. phone-rage is acceptable and encouraged in this matter.