This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Music writing inside KDENlive

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
idm
Registered Member

Music writing inside KDENlive

Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:58 pm
Hello everyone.
As KDENlive can process audio with the numerous FFMpeg audio filters, it would be great if it could also be used for music composing, IMHO.
I propose to include a very simple MIDI engine, named Seq24 (https://filter24.org/seq24/)
It's very little, and easy to learn and use. (Its source it's under 1 MB!!!)
Initially maybe just support FluidSynth, just to see if it's working ok.

My idea is to pre-render MIDI content as audio clip, then [optionally] apply filters as you do with plain audio clips in KDENlive.

I'm not a developer myself, otherwise I'd have dived immediately into this project.
I just hope there is some developer[s] interested in this.

Thanks for anything, regards. xD
bartoloni
OS

Re: Music writing inside KDENlive

Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:49 pm
i can understand your point of view... but also i can request an "electrical CAD" inside Kdenlive because i need to show to subscribers traces/joints/voltages... and probably there is someone that need a spreadsheet to make animated pie-charts on videos...also a 3D plugin for simple animated 3d objects .... lot of things that can be nice to have on a software.. but the point is that every new added "thing" to Kdenlive need to be updated/tested/fixed (constant maintenance) everytime the compiler changes, the MLT changes.. the QT changes...

and there are already so many custom "things" .. like SUBTITLER ... OPEN TIMELINE... TYPEWRITER EFFECT (on titler tool) which are complicating the source code a lot... my opinion is that kdenlive needs to be semplified to make it more faster and stable... removing things and not adding more...

can be nice if in the future users can be able to add external plugins compiled and revisited by them without any change to kdnelive source code. (like some other 3d-cad or audio/image softwares can do right now)
idm
Registered Member

Re: Music writing inside KDENlive

Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:37 am
Well, your point really makes sense, but take a step back and analyze: I'm talking about music.
Music will always be a complementary part of video, like Mtv clips, music visualizations, musicals, purely electronic music, and such.
I'll hardly need something as specific as an electrical CAD inside a video editor, but I'll highly probably want to manipulate the audio side of my footage. So why not manipulate my OST too?

Confidentially, it would be funny to write the sound track for my XMas holydays video =)

I hope this makes more sense now