This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Windows-friendly render settings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
src
Registered Member

Windows-friendly render settings

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:37 pm

Hello.

Does someone know of Windows-friendly render settings for widescreen PAL DV video? What I mean by this is to have AVI with MPEG4 codec, fourcc "DIVX" and rescaled to 1024x768 with correct aspect (no rescaling on player's side needed). Right now if I choose Mpeg4/720x576/High I get AVI with MPEG4 codec, fourcc "FMP4", size 720x576 and aspect 1.3333333 - that is not very Windows-friendly, unfortunately (fourcc and need to rescale according to aspect). I had to use mencoder on DV export which is not bad per se, but is an unnecessary step.

I am using Kdenlive from SVN:

FFmpeg SVN version:

Revision: 10091

Last Changed Date: 2007-08-12 17:47:27 +0200 (Sun, 12 Aug 2007)

MLT SVN version:

Revision: 1024

Last Changed Date: 2007-08-04 09:43:36 +0200 (Sat, 04 Aug 2007)

MLT++ SVN version:

Revision: 1024

Last Changed Date: 2007-06-12 08:00:29 +0200 (Tue, 12 Jun 2007)

Kdenlive SVN version:

Revision: 1687

Last Changed Date: 2007-08-12 15:40:09 +0200 (Sun, 12 Aug 2007)

Thanks for ideas.

Stepan

sdm
Registered Member

The settings it's giving you are perfectly friendly, it's just that many players under Windows have no idea what to do with non-square pixel video. As per http://www.btinternet.com/~perrybits/pages/AspectRatios.htm, if you want square pixels (ie. no resizing during playback is required) you will want to specify a resolution of 1050x576 - it seems you have to do this in kdenlive by working out what the libavformat commandline for that would be.

(Did you want the video to be letterboxed in the file itself, and if so, why? :D )

src
Registered Member

OK, the "Windows-friendly render settings" was too much, it is just that most of the players in Windows (as opposed to players in Linux) jave no idea that MPEG4 can have non-squere pixels and that fourcc is not to be used for format detection.

I just want the output to have square pixels and "DIVX" fourcc, that's all.

sdm
Registered Member

Well, the fourcc *should* be used. That's precisely the point. FMP4 is one that the ffmpeg decoder has registered under Windows. The option for forcing the codec fourcc to something registered to a more common player is apparently "vtag".

If you want widescreen computer friendly square pixels I'd suggest cropping the video to 704 pixels (if you're in a pal region?) and resizing to 640x360.

src
Registered Member

OK, once more: if I change fourcc to "DIVX" and resize the video to "1024x576" (or something like that, I don't remember right now) then it is perfectly playable on everything and in widescreen. I just don't know how to do it in Kdenlive and must do it with mencoder. And that is my question: "How to change fourcc and resize the video from within the Kdenlive during rendering".