This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Question about faster rendering in kdenlive

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markhu
Registered Member
Does Kdenlive use GPU or CPU mainly to render? I am looking at trying to shorten the time it takes to render files and looking to see which is the best option to upgrade.

I have seen some comments on the net that says Kdenlive doesn't use all the cores of your CPU or even the full percentage of the your CPU. So, is there anyway to make Kdenlive either use all of your cores or a larger percentage of your CPU cores? This is all on a Windows 10 64 bit system.

Again, just trying to shorten those long rendering times.

Thanks!
bartoloni
OS
Kdenlive for now is using only the CPU, the GPU accelleration features was disabled for stability porpouses (future builds may have the GPU acceleration again) , and on my Xeon 12 threads is rendering using all the 12 threads at 98%

quoting:
alcinos on May 18, 2019 at 1:28 AM
Movit is a GPU processing library, so if you are using Xeon cpus, you are not using Movit. Actually, the library is not well supported, so if you have it enabled I would recommend turning it off.

P.S. on Windows builds the GPU acceleration was never activated.... it was just a "work in progress" for Linux systems... (if i remember well)

another quote:
Merlimau
Re: GPU Acceleration (Movit) with AppImage
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:38 pm
Actually, the library is not well supported and it leads to crashes. This is the reason why in 19.04 GPU acceleration is switched off. The Dev’s thinking about a better GPU implementation.
Obani
Registered Member
Any tip on when will it be available again, or on which release is it still available ?
markhu
Registered Member
OK, thanks for the responses. Is there anyway to make sure Kdenlive is using the full potential of my cpu? I just upgraded from an i5 6600K Skylake to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and I want to make sure it is rendering at the best possible speed.
bartoloni
OS
you have just to click on "MORE OPTION" on rendering dialog, after that usually i move the quality slider (if you are rendering on MP4) to right to obtain maximum quality, and on the right section of rendring dialog move the "ENCODER SPEED" to full right... and increase the Threads number to 12.

for now you can't do more to obtain a full quality MP4 with maximum CPU usage. BTW take a look at CPU usage to be sure it is 90+ %
baxksterjohnmoli
Registered Member
You might also want to make sure your HD or SSD is fast enough to read all the data, that there is no bottle neck. The CPU can only render as fast as it can fetch the data from storage.