This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Render crash "parameter 'seekable' out of range

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alexwhite
Registered Member
Thanks in advance for your help!

I get repeated crashes on a short test clip:

Code: Select all
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/libmltsdl.so (libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ff824030580] Value 1,000000 for parameter 'seekable' out of range [-1 - 0]
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ff8246fa600] Value 1,000000 for parameter 'seekable' out of range [-1 - 0]
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ff824c88e40] Value 1,000000 for parameter 'seekable' out of range [-1 - 0]
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ff824ce0000] Value 1,000000 for parameter 'seekable' out of range [-1 - 0]
[mp4 @ 0x7ff914000f40] Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead. [mp4 @ 0x7ff914000f40] Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead.
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ff7c48cacc0] Value 1,000000 for parameter 'seekable' out of range [-1 - 0]
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ff7c48beb00] Value 1,000000 for parameter 'seekable' out of range [-1 - 0]
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ff7c471b280] Value 1,000000 for parameter 'seekable' out of range [-1 - 0]
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7ff7c471fd80] Value 1,000000 for parameter 'seekable' out of range [-1 - 0]

When I rendered a 1080p/50 fps clip earlier, all went ok (except for an annoying Transform bug). With this 23,98 fps 1080p project (from another video camera) all render attempts end in crashes.

EDIT:
Restarted everything, no improvement. It appears to crash at about the same time.

What does the line "mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen ..." want to tell me?
Merlimau
Registered Member
If you are on linux try with the AppImage.

Make sure you have following settings: CTR+SHIFT+, (coma) -> environment –> process thread =1. Render -> more options -> threads=0.
alexwhite
Registered Member
Thank you for the quick reply!

AppImage:

I'm hesitant to try this, because I expect when running a stable version that I don't encounter any massive bugs. I trust the Manjaro testing process and would rather not install any programs next to the package management system.

Environment & process threads:

My old setting was 22. I'm running a two socket workstation with a set of Xeon X5690s. Each has 6 cores and hyperthreading. The idea was to use all available threads except two to keep the system responsive.

This setup worked fine when I rendered 1080p 50 fps files. Only when I rendered 1080p 23,98 fps files from an older camera I got the crashes.

I changed the settings to your recommendations. I hope it doesn't increase the render times too much though. :-/

EDIT:

Same problem, it keeps crashing with the same error message.

Found the culprit!

I've added an effect to one of the clips: Sharpen. With that removed the render finishes without problem. The render time seems to be like before.

So,
In my new attempt to learn Kdenlive I've touched two effects so far. One (Transform) causes frozen streams or black screens, the other makes the render engine crash. 2 out of 2 are so faulty that they're unusable. I can do without Sharpen, but I definitely need Transform.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Which Kdenlive version do you run? We solved some transform bugs lately. The AppImage contains all needed dependencies. You haven't to install it just make it executable. Would be interesting if transform and sharpen works with the AppImage.
alexwhite
Registered Member
I'm running Kdenlive 19.12.3 under Manjaro Linux (stable branch, kernel 5.6). Not running KDE though, but XFCE.

I could install a newer Kdenlive version through Manjaro/Arch's AUR system, but I'm careful to use any packages that are not labelled 'stable'.
alexwhite
Registered Member
I wonder if Kdenlive 19.12.3 is labelled 'stable'.

Every other 'New Project' I open results in a crash. Before I can even load the clips into the Project Bin.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
You seem to have a problem with your MLT install: it has dropped SDL1.2 in favor of SDL2 for long! And the 'seekable' warning is also fixed (it is not not source of crash).
And the effects you cite come from frei0r package, which maybe also needs update.

AppImage is just a file you download and execute without polluting your system at all... unlike AUR!
It is namely here to work around problems such as yours, and could have saved you frustration :)
Our "release" AppImages are the most stable and bug-free as it includes all the fixes we regularly add (of course don't use the "daily" AppImage unless for testing).
alexwhite
Registered Member
I'm running the AppImage from kde.org now.

First question appears right when I try to open the project with the Transform issue:

"The project file uses some GPU effects. GPU acceleration is not currently enabled.
Do you want to convert the project to a non-GPU version?
This might result in data loss."

Can I switch on GPU acceleration? My CPU is old and could do with some support..

EDIT:

Did two renders without GPU acceleration. Render times seem fine. Transform works and doesn't freeze or black out clips any more. Sharpen doesn't cause any issues (I seem to have been too careful with the adjustments though, since I'm not seeing any difference between unsharpened and 300/30..60..90 sharpened on 1080 material).

Looks like it was an issue of Arch/Manjaro packaging, and not a problem with Kdenlive. Interesting. Thank you all! :-)