This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Windows vs. Linux render performance

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
morsti
Registered Member
Hey,

I was bored and tested the render speed of a 22 second Clip with different hardware I have laying around here. ( Main Computer, Laptop, Raspberry Pi 4, Work Laptop .. )
My main computer is a small asrock a300 barebone pc with a amd 3200g apu, 16gb ram and 1tb nvme.

The render job on a ubuntu 20.04 and manjaro with the 20.08.2 appimage took around 55 - 57 seconds. The same job with windows 10 and 20.08.2 took only 15 - 17 seconds.
This really shocked me and I testet the same project with my lenovo t420 laptop. Ubuntu / Manjaro took around 2 minutes. On windows only 52 - 54 seconds.

Does the windows renderer use gpu acceleration ? Does somebody know what the difference is between the windows and linux client?

Best Regards,
morsti

EDIT:
The Parallel processing feature in the render option seems to be buggy

Last edited by morsti on Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartoloni
OS
as a Windows user.. the final rendering is not affected by GPU acceleration on Windows (tried swapping VGA cards) ... BUT.. VisualC is much more faster than GCC (talking about OS compilation... not Kdenlive) .. and Windows is always much more "faster" than MacOS or Linux on the same machine (Windows 10 2018-2019-2020 builds are something different because there is a lot of trash on them)
BTW.. i tried some times ago' on my Xeon (with cheap nvidia card) to compare Fedora and Windows 10 (2017 version) and the rendering was also faster on windows .. but about 10/20% ... not 100% like your tests...

P.S... maybe can be the FFMPEG compiled using VisualC the real difference... i remember that some time ago' when rendering some JPEG a VisualC error was popping out... (and kdenlive is builded using MinGW and not VisualC)

zolder
Registered Member
Sorry, no bashing. But f*** win (MHO) as i'm through with it. I'll explain my opinion.
Worked more then 25 years with it and did almost everything you can think (work, internet, intranet, servers, design, images, music, movies, etc), but after starting already some years ago with linux i'm fully "grabed".
I prefer linux because it is much more stable and better in meaning of less faults and crashes. If linux crashes (if so, mostly program related), restart or reboot and all's well again. Not even starting about the extra costs to stay up running.

I don't believe in slower or take it for grantage if i look at how many problems people have. Eventually in common my (not recent) computers are fast ;D Also doing some serious music production, and those doing that on win need the latest, fastest, newest, most expesive computer and have to have to shut down their antivirus-scanner, and still can't get done what i do on older computers without any problems.
Yeah sure, rendering cost me some serous amounts of minutes on more serious projects. Thats on a dual core!!! No win computer nowadays renders on a dual core ;D Win itself doesn't even work on those computers let along render. In old days rendering cost me half nights on muchs smaller vids, so what is some minutes? ;D What are we comparing?
So the slower comparisation of you, was that on the same computer with the same software and hardware? And was there for instance a difference in full and empty computer? Was the comparisation one on one significant? Otherwise it says nothing to me. And the rendering might be slower, but how about the editing itself? What's the loss if you lose some minutes on the rendering but win hours on the editing? Questions questions ;)

At the end. If it does what you want it works for you. No matter what OS you choose as long as your happy with it (=personal). 8) You now know mine! o)
bartoloni
OS
I'm sorry, I thought it was a serious request.. just tried to answer and find an explanation. have a nice day
morsti
Registered Member
bartoloni wrote:I'm sorry, I thought it was a serious request.. just tried to answer and find an explanation. have a nice day

Hello Bartoloni,

thank you for the answer! Good to know a reason - never thought about visualc vs gcc - mainly because I thought an binary is an binary.

I don't want to discuss which operating system is better, that wasn't my intention.

@zolder:
Yes, the Tests has been done on the same Computer - only difference is ubuntu/manjaro was running on a nvme and windows on an ssd - but that isn't a bottleneck, the renderd project was about 60mb - all hard drives have about 80% disk free.
Main difference is just a linux kernel based operating system and windows 10.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
Thanks for the notice, that is an interesting track to study for rendering speedup!
To know what is bottleneck, does your project contain effects and transitions (which ones?), or is it mainly decoding-encoding?
If you just transcode clips with ffmpeg, is there a notable speed difference?
Note: the msvc vs gcc idea does not apply if you use our windows binaries, because we build the whole stack from source with gcc through craft (it can use MSVC, but for now it fails to build many libraries, the most blocking being MLT... I never spent the time to write the patches)
bartoloni
OS
vpinon wrote: the msvc vs gcc idea does not apply if you use our windows binaries, because we build the whole stack from source with gcc through craft (it can use MSVC, but for now it fails to build many libraries, the most blocking being MLT... I never spent the time to write the patches)

ah.. well .. now i have no ideas about this performance difference :p
zolder
Registered Member
morsti wrote:@zolder:
Yes, the Tests has been done on the same Computer - only difference is ubuntu/manjaro was running on a nvme and windows on an ssd - but that isn't a bottleneck, the renderd project was about 60mb - all hard drives have about 80% disk free.
Main difference is just a linux kernel based operating system and windows 10.

Thanks for the feedback.
And what's your experience within the production?

My experience with linux overall(!!) is that it works quicker then a win computer. If only that no virusscanner is slowing down everything. As i said i still have a dual core in action with latest version working fine, on which win 10 doesn't even work anymore.
morsti
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:Hello,
To know what is bottleneck, does your project contain effects and transitions (which ones?), or is it mainly decoding-encoding?
If you just transcode clips with ffmpeg, is there a notable speed difference?

Hey,

no effects, only a single cut.

Video is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmCIZ_aUAeQ
( used youtube-dl on my linux machines to download )

* start kdenlive ( appimage 20.08.2 )
* Import video and switch to the profile he says
* do a cut at 20s and delete every thing behind this
* Set the Render Zone to 20s
* Render the Project
** MP4
** Quality full to the ride
** Selected Zone
** Parallel processing activated

* hit render to file

That was my simple test.

zolder wrote:
morsti wrote:@zolder:
And what's your experience within the production?

Kdenlive on windows and linux works good. They don't have crashes for my work on both OS.
Renderer on Windows is faster.
bartoloni
OS
another report about this (maybe) viewtopic.php?f=265&t=168840
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Ah, parallel *processing* is buggy, I've added a warning in latest version.
Please try without it (but you can keep several threads for *encoding*)
morsti
Registered Member
Hey, yes thats it!

Without 'parallel processing' the render time takes about 13-14 seconds.

Thanks for the help!