This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive Bounty- Ripple edit

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS

Kdenlive Bounty- Ripple edit

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:58 am
Is there a stance on bounties for Kdenlive?

The lack of a ripple edit feature (issue 0002681 from 2012-07-15) is something which greatly hinders my editing workflow, and I would be happy to put up a $150/€120 bounty if that would encourage it being implemented.

Here's my post in the Kdenlive forum from last month with explanation and discussion of the issue.
As suggested by Steve Guilford in that thread, I made a project folder with .kdenlive file and assets, which can be used for testing the feature (2 synchronised video tracks plus an audio track) and an animation showing how the feature could work.

I realise that bounties are not a perfect silver bullet and there are many valid criticisms of this development model. So if it's not appropriate, or if you have other suggestions, just let me know.

If it is worthwhile, how do I go about it? I've never posted a bounty before - Bountysource for example seems to only work for issues on particular code repositories. Or is a post here good enough?

http://www.cameralibre.cc
Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:15 pm
Hello,

I don't find offending to offer a financial participation for a work you are asking for.
The historical developers who could have added such a function rapidly are not involved (much) any more, and newcomers like Steve or me have to assimilate large parts of the code to add new things.

I keep sorted a list of asked features in mantis, but for the moment I'm focusing my scarce time on code reorganization and preparing the Qt5/KF5 port. I can't promise to look at your problem soon (but maybe I will?).

If a new dev would get motivated by your offer I would warmly thank both of you!

Vincent
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:23 pm
rethinking of your problem, to make your life simpler: have you tried to use overwrite mode?
with the clips you are working on, you just have to add a cut at the end of the zone to delete (shift R), then drag the right part back over the unwanted zone and that's it?
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS

Re: Kdenlive Bounty- Ripple edit

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:29 pm
OK, thank you for the information Vincent, and the 'overwrite' tip definitely is a push in the right direction!

Regarding the ripple edit bounty, unless I come across a more suitable place to post it, I'll just leave this thread here and see what happens, and if anyone is interested in picking it up, just contact me and we can organise the bounty privately,

I'll also add a comment to the bug report in mantis as well, linking here in case anyone comes across it!

Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything
Steve Guilford
Registered Member
I have successfully implemented this feature. It didn't have to add too much code but I did have to refactor some to make it re-usable and more readable.

I'll be ready upload my changes after this weekend.

Steve...>>>
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:12 pm
nice work, thanks Steve! let's get that bounty sorted out!

ttguy
OS

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:11 am
git commit 2c80301 ~19Dec2014 by Steve Guilford implemented a Ripple Delete. Select in and out points in the project monitor and hit Ctl-X. The feature works nicely. I hope you paid him sammuirhead ;-)

Steve - is there a menu item that does the Ripple Delete? I found the Ctl-X short cut but not a menu item to do it.
Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:09 pm
ttguy wrote:git commit 2c80301 ~19Dec2014 by Steve Guilford implemented a Ripple Delete. Select in and out points in the project monitor and hit Ctl-X. The feature works nicely. I hope you paid him sammuirhead ;-)

Steve - is there a menu item that does the Ripple Delete? I found the Ctl-X short cut but not a menu item to do it.

Thanks TT. No menu item to do it....
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:03 pm
The feature works beautifully! exactly what I was looking for. Not only did I get a new feature, but also a lot of help and some very patient hand-holding as I learned to compile a program from source for the first time :) Thank you so much Steve, wonderful work.

For my own use, I've mapped 'Ripple Delete' to the Delete key and 'Delete Selected Item' to the Backspace key, so that it suits my cutting style and I have one-key shortcuts for both. This is going to save me (and hopefully many others) so much time.

p.s. yes, ttguy, don't worry, the bounty payment is underway! as requested by Steve, half the bounty went to a donation to a wildlife charity (I chose Save the Elephants) and we're just getting transfer details sorted for the other half so he can get himself something special for xmas as a thank you.

Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:08 pm
My pleasure Sam. :)

Suggest another shortcut and I'll give that a try too....

Steve...>>>
ttguy
OS

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:20 pm
Steve Guilford wrote: No menu item to do it....

I reckon it should have one. Because other people will not discover this nice feature. I discover features by looking in menus. Not by reading short cuts.
Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:33 pm
ttguy wrote:

I reckon it should have one. Because other people will not discover this nice feature. I discover features by looking in menus. Not by reading short cuts.

I'll take care of it shortly....
Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:27 am
ttguy wrote:

Done. Timeline-->All clips-->Ripple Delete.

The feature now needs to be documented. Also, I think this will need to be setup for translation to other languages.
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:26 pm
The feature now needs to be documented.

In the Manual? I can do it on the weekend.

One other small addition which which would be a useful alternative (and I imagine not too difficult now that you've created the Ripple Delete shortcut) would be to allow for a (non-ripple) Delete using the same In and Out mechanism.
i.e. set an In and Out, and simply cut out any content on non-locked tracks in that zone, without sliding everything back. (Leaving a gap).
As with Ripple Delete, this is useful when working with multiple tracks of synched material.

Shortcuts can be whatever works best for you, but I would recommend a single key shortcut as default to help users edit faster.

Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:13 pm
On a ski-trip, but I'll try to look at this when I get back.