This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Bugs in kdenlive-18.12-beta5-x86_64.AppImage

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
checkup
Registered Member
Hi,

i've been using this yesterday for several hours and here are my findings:

*Automatic transitions are broken/don't work. Even if the button in the lower right is enabled. The menu entry in "clips" is also broken here.
* The spacer tool is broken. I usually lock my audio track and use the spacer tool to move several tracks "from above" to the left. This usually moves anything besides the locked content. This does not work in beta5. It doesn't work at all most of the time and when it does something, it creates "groups" accidentally.
** When i have no track locked, it does work in part.
* Messing around in the timeline crashes the app. For example: Grabbing a track and moving it on top of another track an letting the mouse button go often crashes on me.
* Since clips are now split in video/audio tracks, i can not freely move them around any more if the first audio track (A1) is already occupied. I do have to ungroup them first and then i can move the audio to (A2) and the video where i want it to be. From that point i have to keep them in sync by myself. This is more or less a PITA. Is there something to keep them in automatic sync somehow? As a group, they seem to have to be next to each other in adjacent video/audio tracks.
Maybe the setup needs to change now. Instead of (A2,A1,V1,V2,V3) now you have to set up like (A1,V1, A2,V2, A3,V3) ?

Aside from that, i've been able to edit about 5 Minutes of Video and the app used 6 physical cores in that machine quite nicely. Thanks for all you do!
Merlimau
Registered Member
Thanks for reporting. Added to https://phabricator.kde.org/T9345
Merlimau
Registered Member
checkup wrote: now you have to set up like (A1,V1, A2,V2, A3,V3)?

Implemented in beta5 -> above the time line - far left (timeline toolbar option) -> drop-out -> there you can switch
checkup
Registered Member
Great. Thanks for the info. Will try that out this evening.

On a sidenote, if anybody is reading this:

I'm a long time lover of kde projects. I don't use kde as a DE anymore. I have switched years ago.

Since then i have used kdevelop for about 5 years. And i loved it! But it has been replaced by visual studio code which does a lot more things a lot better then kdevelop.

Same goes for kdenlive. I have some kind of love/hate towards that project and i've been using it (really) extensively. There won't show up something like vscode for NLE so i want to express my feelings here:

* Most important for me is stability. Then well thought out and useful features. If kdenlive can't do a certain feature, then i'd love to see other projects involved to add to the overall experience. But stability is so important to me and this is one of the most nagging downsides of kdenlive so far. (This also goes for 18.08.01, on windows and linux).
Merlimau
Registered Member
Beta5 isn’t stable, have just a look but don't work. For further checking use the upcoming Beta6 end of next week.
Yes, you are right, stability is a problem.

On Windows Kdenlive has still some problem that’s why in version 18.08.2 a better crash logger is implemented to see better why it’s crashed.

On Linux it’s much more stable and more fluent to work (even inside a VirtualBox on Windows 7). But I see the problem on Linux and his segmentation. People can adjust the distro/OS as they like, and I see lots of crashes due to missing OS parts.

Just a side note: For better code stability Kdenlive's refactoring branch is now building automatically on KDE's automated integration system (CI), and run tests to check that no regression happens (for example a change that would cause timeline corruption). First test is passed on Wednesday 10. October.
checkup
Registered Member
Thank you for all your replies so far. I edited another rather large project w/ kdenlive. Mostly with the 18.08 stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2A5wLH6-ww

Since i can use this thread to put all my bug reports in, i will continue doing so :)

There is another bug (which i don't know if it's fixed in 18.12):
* When color grading any footage (sony slog2 in my case)
* Applying a LUT
* Overlaying with a 100% transparent title clip

The title clip will change the brightness/gamma of the footage. I don't know why and this won't happen in any other non-LUT clips i edit.

Thanks!
Merlimau
Registered Member
Please try with Beta11.
checkup
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:Please try with Beta11.

Will do in the next days. Thanks!
checkup
Registered Member
beta12 is out so i've been using that. Seems fixed! :)

What doesn't work: change speed on the timeline track. Does nothing.

Also a rather unrelated question: How can i do something like dynamic range compression oder highlight boosting as can be done in raw processors?
Is there some way i could "plug in" an external picture processor into the rendering workflow?