This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Design Help Wanted] System Tray Icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jgrulich
KDE Developer
OS
@Leroux I don't think that network-wireless-60-* should be same as network-wireless-80-*. I'll send some screenshot when I fix some issues, because the applet is partially broken in Plasma Next version.
Leroux
Registered Member
Whole wireless idea was taken from old one where 60 and 80 are the same. So if we want to have separate icons we should make whole new wireless icon set. I could do this, but not in near future (like 2 weeks).
rwalker
Registered Member
OS
I really like the work Leroux has made on the new tray icons. A big improvement!

However I would vote for simple monikers of 2g, 3g, 3g+, 4g for the network speed of mobile internet. The old style names and the new style single letters don't really do much for readability at a glance. My MiFi has a small OLED screen - which simply give the signal strength and the above codes - works a treat. I can glance at it and know immediately that if it says 2g I've got no Internet :D With letters I've got to think now what does L stand for again :-\ :| ???

Robert
Leroux
Registered Member
However I would vote for simple monikers of 2g, 3g, 3g+, 4g for the network speed of mobile internet.

You've made good point, I'll change this in second version. :)
rwalker
Registered Member
OS
Leroux wrote:
However I would vote for simple monikers of 2g, 3g, 3g+, 4g for the network speed of mobile internet.

You've made good point, I'll change this in second version. :)

It's nice to hear that the KDE Community isn't like certain other FOSS Desktop Communities >:D

Btw I've messed about with some System Tray designs. It's an OCD obsession of mine that they are too intrusive/big for low resolution displays (but that's another story). ^-^ Am I right in thinking that Inkscape is the only tool that works for doing svg System Tray icons? I can't seem to label objects in Karbon - which makes it impossible to use the resulting svg icons as Tray icons in KDE.

Thanks
Bob
notmart
KDE Developer
OS
Going to revive this thread as there was a bug report related to one of the new systray icons:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=333968

basically is the asymmetry of the device notifier icon that gives problems when aligned vertically
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
notmart wrote:Going to revive this thread as there was a bug report related to one of the new systray icons:

basically is the asymmetry of the device notifier icon that gives problems when aligned vertically

This should be relatively easy to solve. Where are these icons stored?

The only thing that could happen when we centre the icon is that it looks weird in horizontal orientation. We'll have to see I guess.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS
Sogatori wrote:
notmart wrote:Going to revive this thread as there was a bug report related to one of the new systray icons:

This should be relatively easy to solve. Where are these icons stored?

The only thing that could happen when we centre the icon is that it looks weird in horizontal orientation. We'll have to see I guess.

it's in the plasma-framework repository, src/desktoptheme/default/icons
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
Hmm, I did centre the circle to the view area, however now then the shadow doesn't fit into the viewing area any more:

I could of course shorten the bar a bit, but then it looks unbalanced, because the most of the bar would lie within the circle:

I could also rotate the bar and position it in an ~45° angle:

The problem with this though is that it would looks like a mirrored Quicktime icon.

So, what would you like to see? :D Maybe the original designer of these icons could give some input.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS
Sogatori wrote:I could also rotate the bar and position it in an ~45° angle:

The problem with this though is that it would looks like a mirrored Quicktime icon.
So, what would you like to see? :D Maybe the original designer of these icons could give some input.

what about the third but flipped vertically? (yeah, would be kindof a semi rotated standby icon then)
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
notmart wrote:what about the third but flipped vertically? (yeah, would be kindof a semi rotated standby icon then)

But then it would look even more like a Quicktime icon, unless I'm confusing horizontally and vertically again. ._. You mean the bottom right, right? ._.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS
Sogatori wrote:
notmart wrote:what about the third but flipped vertically? (yeah, would be kindof a semi rotated standby icon then)

But then it would look even more like a Quicktime icon, unless I'm confusing horizontally and vertically again. ._. You mean the bottom right, right? ._.

i meant the bar from topleft to center
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
notmart wrote:
Sogatori wrote:

i meant the bar from topleft to center

Okay, you can test this icon on your system and see if it works?
Sogatori
Registered Member
OS
Hmm, after this night I gave it a second thought and came to the conclusion that this icon looks really weird rotated. I will try to come up with something that doesn't look so strange.

EDIT:
After some tinkering around I settled for the version with the shortened bar is the best way to go IMHO. So if you could try out this file too.
notmart
KDE Developer
OS
Sogatori wrote:After some tinkering around I settled for the version with the shortened bar is the best way to go IMHO. So if you could try out this file too.

using the last one. looks much better now, thanks