This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma NEXT mockups and sketches

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alake
Registered Member
OS
I think the reality for the moment is that, even if application replacements were a possible thing (I concur with Ivan that they're not), our reach can't exceed our grasp. As a relatively new entity, we have relatively little influence. My own view is that we are firmly in a phase where we have to earn influence. The primary way I think we earn influence is by
a. Focusing on delivering great, timely, specific results when we're approached, and
b. Sharing great, inspirational designs of how things could be.

It's a weird thing, this notion of an Open Visual Design Group. Normally, Visual Design is embedded in a closed world from which design edicts emerge unchallenged. We're charting new waters. In this Open world where everyone is at liberty to do as they choose, all we can hope to do is influence the choices that folks make. We can either view that as limiting or liberating. For me, it is definitely the latter and it is the challenge, and the reward, that makes this whole VDG effort super interesting for me! ;D
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Re: Plasma NEXT mockups and sketches

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:30 pm
I dunno I want to aim so high it hurts a little to even think about how it can be solved. :)

If I had to make a list of things I'd like happen it's
1) Better system settings, with a presentation level for when you first install your computer.
2) A clear and easily presented dual set of a vanilla desktop, with suggested applications to match. Suggest the usage of these apps.
3) A unified method for launching files, apps and system tray handling.
4) A sensation of a triple teired system presentation where at the first level you are presented with things you DO while at the desktop, the second things you do which involves the desktop, third things you do with/to the desktop.

The ideal should be a sensation of not actually starting anything to do something when it involves the desktop that there is a machine that you do not need to bother with (a good example of which can be Ubuntu's Social settings, Online Accounts. What if when you filled it out it automatically filled in the correct forms in email program, chat program, microblog and supplied the web program with logins to those places if you agreed?).

Similarly what if the System Settings first assumed what a new user would want to deal with then after a while learned the new users behavior? Say that you change the mouse settings a lot, instead of a method where you'd have to click through it to get to those things that settings area would turn up in your "Basic Settings"? Or what if you ten times in a row clicked "advanced settings" directly - what if the system settings just learned that was your automatic behavior and dumped you there instead of starting in the basics?

What if your desktop was arranged by its usage? Or what if the desktop was just the current area you where using? What if the desktop areas where not even relevant? What if you had a sub-area, a mix of a desktop and an activity?
Ok what if there was a duality between "dashboard" and "under the hood"? A visual representation that gave the impression of two distinct areas with a slide effect telling you exactly where you went? Right now I'm trying out different desktop environments to test what KDE has and doesn't have in comparison - and I'm listening to music in Gnome 3.12 right now. So I wanted to paus it... I can't. The music is still going but no way of pausing it. This how to fail at providing that sense of control. I have to start up Rhythmbox again to get it to stop playing.

Anyway my point is - we have work to do, but we should keep aiming high. If we don't we will just slap lipstick on a corpse and call it Marilyn. :)

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
alake
Registered Member
OS

Re: Plasma NEXT mockups and sketches

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:31 pm
jensreuterberg wrote:If I had to make a list of things I'd like happen it's
1) Better system settings, with a presentation level for when you first install your computer.
2) A clear and easily presented dual set of a vanilla desktop, with suggested applications to match. Suggest the usage of these apps.
3) A unified method for launching files, apps and system tray handling.
4) A sensation of a triple teired system presentation where at the first level you are presented with things you DO while at the desktop, the second things you do which involves the desktop, third things you do with/to the desktop.

Ooooh, I'm definitely digging on these ideas. Mi noggin's already churning...

For the 2nd one, would you imagine the dual (dark & light) themes play into this as well? Maybe even tied to Plasma activities. Ooh, I can just imagine opening my Design activity and having it switch to the dark theme with all the typical/suggested apps for a design workflow loaded up. I know the apps portion already works .
I'm also very curious about more of your ideas on the 3rd one (especially the systray handling).
On the 4th one, are you thinking of system settings there or more the overall desktop desktop design. I'd certainly be interested in either. :)
alake
Registered Member
OS

:-)

Updated files are available in my shared folder here. There you'll find:
- an updated (non-QML) Aurorae windec
- a colors theme file
- a qtcurve settings file
- a current snapshot of the plasma theme

If you'd like to contribute to finishing up the plasma theme let me know. :-)
Hans
Administrator
OS
Wow, looks super nice! Great job!

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
ivan
KDE Developer
OS
For those of you that do not follow reddit. Reaction to Jens' last post:

It is good when we bring non-troll people to speak up!

alake
Registered Member
OS
ivan wrote:For those of you that do not follow reddit. Reaction to Jens' last post:

It is good when we bring non-troll people to speak up!

Ooh thanks for posting this Ivan. It's pretty motivating to share in this kind of encouraging feedback!